Stephanie's Reviews > Rock Star's Girl

Rock Star's Girl by J.F. Kristin

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, chick-lit, review-book

Emily Watts, 26 year old freelance writer and fashion website owner, just wants to have a fun night out at her friend Jesse’s concert. Instead, she meets rockstar, Cory Sampson, and after agreeing to go out on a date with him, makes entertainment headlines. Soon, Emily is famous, just for dating a rockstar, and does not enjoy being thrust into the limelight. When rumors erupt that she’s been cheating on Cory with Jesse, she’s not ready to face the kickback from Cory’s fans, who publicly call her out, call her names, and grow to hate her. Now her career is going down the drain as fast as her love life. Is either man right for her, or is she being used as a career booster for one or both of the guys? Can she save her own career and her reputation before it’s too late?

Insider stories are always fun and interesting to me. This story takes place in the L.A. music scene and I enjoyed the inside glimpse not only of the music scene, but also that of celebrity life and tabloid entertainment writing. Emily lives in a dog eat dog world where people will do anything to get the story or to find fame and things get vicious fast. I liked Emily’s character a lot, and how she was an independent, self-made woman who followed her dream. She was shocked by her sudden fame and didn’t know how to deal with it, or the pitfalls of her relationship(s). I particularly liked the articles that appeared throughout the book with gossip about Emily and her romance. The love triangle was interesting as well and I honestly didn’t know who she would or would not end up with. Jesse was a bit hard to like, but Cory was more likable, though it was hard to know whether or not he was genuine. In Emily’s Hollywood world, it’s hard to tell the fake from the real. All in all, I thought this was a pretty fun read. While it isn’t incredibly thought provoking, it’s a good choice for a light, escapist read. It moved a little slowly for me, but I liked the story and would definitely read something from J.F. Kristin again.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock Star's Girl.

September 23, 2011 – Started Reading