Joy H.'s Reviews > American Prince: A Memoir

American Prince by Tony    Curtis

Sep 23, 2011

bookshelves: memoir, autobiography, hollywood, audio-version
Read in September, 2011

_American Prince: A Memoir_ (2008) by Tony Curtis, Peter Golenbock, Mitch Greenberg (Narrator)
Added 9/23/11

I listened to the audio version of this book.
It's a tell-all book and I enjoyed it very much.
There was something very charming about Tony Curtis.

He died in 2010 at the age of 85. He had a great career at the beginning but it went downhill as he aged. It's sad to think about it. He married 5 times and had 6 children altogether. Of course, the famous one is Jamie Lee Curtis, whom he had with his first wife, actress Janet Leigh.

The audio-book is read by Mitch Greenberg. He sounds very similar to Tony Curtis in expression. I imagine that's intentional. I wish Tony Curtis had read it, but Greenberg does a good job.

Curtis' Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Curtis

Below is another GR member's review of this book.
Gail writes:
==============================
"having now read the book, I can honestly say that it was a hard book to put down. curtis is so brash and bombastic, it's like listening to a favorite uncle regale you with stories from his youth. You suspect that they are somewhat embellished for your benefit, but yet you enjoy them just the same.
"Curtis' stories of his early time in Hollywood are a delightful peek into the last days of the studio system. HIs story of returning to NY and meeting Walter Matthou (sp?) is probably the funniest thing in the entire book
"Both sweet and sour, Curtis reveals himself to be an engaging individual.
"Just ask him. He'd agree."
FROM: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
============================

Yes, there are parts of the book where I wondered if the anecdotes were really true or not. But they were entertaining, nevertheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Prince.

10/01/2017 marked as: read