Paul's Reviews > Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

bookshelves: z_archive17_librarybook2017, z_archive17_read-2017all, z_archive17_read-2017books

I have to admit, going into Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer, I wasn't expecting a whole lot. I knew it was weird and I knew that sometimes new weird stuff just doesn't work for me but I was really into this small book. The only thing I knew about this was that my sci-fi friends loved it and there was an Area X with some weirdness going on. I wonder how many times I'll type weird in this review? Anyway, right away, at the very beginning, I knew I was going to like this book because no character had a name.

Yep, that's right, no character had a name, and I thought that was fantastic. Each character had a specific job they had to do on the expedition to this Area X, but they were forbidden to share their names. I realized that this was a huge red flag, "these people gonna die," moment, haha. The reader follows the biologist and her plant-loving, creepy crawly loving ways. What is also really great about this book is that every character is a woman. Something fascinating happens when the women don't have names and just careers/disciplines, you see them as their roles in the group and not just the women in a story. I loved this decision by VanderMeer.

I don't want to get too much into this book because I think the enjoyment comes from experiencing it. I did want some more background about or biologist because those parts of the story were so incredibly interesting to me. Maybe I'll get more of that in the sequels. I never knew where the story was going to go and it had an atmosphere of dread and suffocation that I really dug while reading. It didn't hurt that VanderMeer can really write extremely well. I was impressed with VanderMeer's writing and he just got a fan for life.

I really liked this book and I ordered the second book the day after finishing this one from the library system. Excited to unlock more secrets of Area X. This book is a solid 4.5 for me with a perfect writing score.

4/5
20/25 Possible Score
4 - Plot
4 - Characters
4 - World Building
5 - Writing Style
3 - Heart & Mind Aspect

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annihilation.

September 27, 2017 – Started Reading
October 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 12, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_librarybook2017
October 12, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_read-2017all
October 12, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_read-2017books

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Chernz If you liked Vandermeer's writing he has a great collection of short stories called "The Third Bear." Not all are winners (as with every collection), but some of the best ones have stuck with me for a LONG time.

Paul Thanks for the recommendation