Dawn Herring's Reviews > Morgan

Morgan by Jenna Ryan

I'm rating this one with a wishy-washy 3.5 to 4 stars because I'm sitting on a fence that I can't seem to get down from. I'll start by saying that this is one of the most action-filled, fast-paced books I've read in a long time, and I really enjoyed that aspect of it. The hero, Gage, and heroine, Amber, are both very strong individuals, and I enjoyed their never-a-dull-moment story as they raced to stay one step ahead of the people after Amber. So why am I on the fence? Because of the character connections, or more accurately, the lack thereof. This book was so focused on the action that it failed to create real connections between the reader and the characters, or even between the characters themselves, in my opinion. I came away feeling empty in that sense, which was made more disappointing by the fact that I really liked the characters themselves and wanted to know much more about what they were feeling and thinking. Normally, I'm all about characterization, so that deficiency here would cause me to lean more toward the 3.5 stars, BUT I'm stuck on that fence because right after I read this book, I immediately started on another romantic suspense that went the opposite route; it got so hung up in the characters' heads that the action waned, and I grew incredibly tired of the woe-is-me track stuck in the heroine's mind in that one. And that made me rethink my stance on this book, knocking it up a notch. So, bottom line is that although I would have liked to connect more with the characters and see their romance build a little more, I would recommend this book on the story alone, which again, was quite engaging. So much so that I look forward to more books in this series.

I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morgan.

September 27, 2017 – Started Reading