Brenda's Reviews > The Secrets at Ocean's Edge

The Secrets at Ocean's Edge by Kali Napier

It was 1932 when Ernie and Lily Hass and their ten-year-old daughter Girlie packed the last of their meagre belongings onto the cart behind Brownie and slowly headed away from their home in Perenjori, making their way into their new life in Dongarra. The wheat farm that had failed because of the Depression, the lack of support from the Government and a fire was what they were turning their backs on. Ernie was sure he could make their future better with the guesthouse they would open beside the beach in Dongarra.

Lily was desperate to climb the social ladder in her new town, but making new friends wasn’t easy. She had to be careful at what she said – her secrets needed to remain buried. But Ernie’s business acumen – or lack of it – was dragging him down. And he wouldn’t tell Lily of his problems either. But it was when Lily’s brother Tommy arrived in town, having searched until he found her, that troubles intensified. Tommy was shell-shocked from the war and wasn’t always at his best. Plus Ernie didn’t want him there…

Girlie was alone and lonely. She had only one friend at school – but was she a friend? And when she found another, she realised she would need to keep that secret as well. What would happen to the small family who seemed buried in secrets?

The Secrets at Ocean’s Edge is Aussie author Kali Napier’s debut novel and is a deeply moving story of a family just trying to be accepted. The racial prejudice of the day is highlighted; the shocking effects on men who have returned from war; and the consequences of keeping secrets – plus the importance of family. A novel that will be accepted into the literary fiction genre, The Secrets at Ocean’s Edge is one I highly recommend.

With thanks to Hachette Australia, NetGalley and the author for my ARC to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets at Ocean's Edge.

September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: literary-fiction
January 17, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
January 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review, Brenda! :)

Brenda Thanks Tammy :)

♥ Sandi ❣	Nice review

Brenda Thanks Sandi :)

Theresa Smith Bingo! Great pick for based on a true story Brenda. I loved this one too.

Brenda Thanks Theresa :)

message 7: by Kali (new) - added it

Kali Napier Theresa wrote: "Bingo! Great pick for based on a true story Brenda. I loved this one too."

Thanks, Tess -- but not based on a true story!! From my imagination... Historical details of course researched and woven in.

Brenda It says in the publisher's promotional material that I received "Inspired by the author's own family history" which is why I said "based on a true story" for my bingo pick Kali :)

message 9: by Kali (new) - added it

Kali Napier "Inspired" is a very loose term, lol!

Brenda Oh well, it fitted my bingo spot ;)