Paromjit's Reviews > The Hoarder

The Hoarder by Jess Kidd

F 50x66

bookshelves: crime-fiction, fantasy, family-drama, mystery, netgalley, literary-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read January 12, 2018.

Jess Kidd returns with The Hoarder after her sublime and outstanding debut, Himself. There is much that echoes Himself in this story, its Irish background, the writing style with its themes of the supernatural and fantastical, its quirkiness, eccentric elements along with a dark gothic tale. It features rabid, volatile, relcalcitrant and cadaverous geriatric pensioner, Cathal Flood, who resides in the huge house, Bridlemere, heaving with the detritus of the Flood family history, spirits, ghosts, cats, a fox, macabre curiosities and so much more. Cathal has seen off all those sent to sort out the house and care for him, including Sam Hebden by assaulting him with a hurley stick. Psychic Maud Drennan, his latest carer, is made of much sterner stuff as she battles to clean and access the main parts of the house, impeded by Cathal and the Great Wall of National Geographics. Maud is caught by the Flood family drama, like the accident that killed Mary, but her nosiness is not appreciated by Cathal. Little by little, Cathal and Maud begin to connect as Cathal paints her portrait and tells her stories.

Maud is often in the company of a coterie of saints only she can see, such as St Dymphna, who on occasion offer valuable advice, warnings and insights at critical times. Maud's colourful agoraphobic, transgender landlady, Renata, is certain murder has been done in Bridlemere, and whilst Maud is unconvinced, soon a board is set up charting the progress of their investigation. Maud meets Cathal's estranged son, and finds herself getting involved with Sam Hebdon. Maud is surrounded by a web of deceit, betrayal, loss and the increasing presence of danger swirling all around her, where not everyone is as they appear. Bridlemere is a home overflowing with grief, loss and pain. Running parallel in the narrative is the dark and haunting past of Maud in Ireland, when as a 7 year old child, her sister, Deirdre, disappeared.

This was a great read, but it fails to climb the heights of the magical brilliance that is Himself. There are similar themes, characters and style present here, but it somehow lacks the same alchemy of Kidd's debut. There were occasions when the writing felt a little more laboured and perhaps there was an absence of greater creativity. Don't get me wrong, I still loved it enough to give it 5 stars, and Jess Kidd is undoubtedly imaginative, I just hope she either has something more to offer or she takes on something significantly more different in her next book. In any case, I will be wanting to read her next book as soon as it becomes available! I did absolutely adore the characters of Cathal and Renata. A wonderful read that I recommend highly! Many thanks to Canongate for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hoarder.

Finished Reading
January 12, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
January 12, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 12, 2018 – Shelved as: literary-fiction
January 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by Mackey (new)

Mackey She's written a book about my husband?! 🙄😳

Paromjit Mackey wrote: "She's written a book about my husband?! 🙄😳"

Ha Mackey... I too am a hoarder!!!

Kevin Ansbro Mackey wrote: "She's written a book about my husband?! 🙄😳"

Mackey, your comment caused an instantaneous chuckle to burst forth! : D

Kevin Ansbro Because Himself was (is?) my favourite read of 2017, I'm keen to read your view, Paromjit. : )
And hey! That cover is a direct rip-off of Herman Koch's The Dinner!

Paromjit Kevin wrote: "Because Himself was (is?) my favourite read of 2017, I'm keen to read your view, Paromjit. : )
And hey! That cover is a direct rip-off of Herman Koch's The Dinner!"

Planning to read this soon Kevin....have such high hopes for it... and will check Koch’s cover!!

Paromjit Paromjit wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Because Himself was (is?) my favourite read of 2017, I'm keen to read your view, Paromjit. : )
And hey! That cover is a direct rip-off of Herman Koch's The Dinner!"

Planning to read ..."

Kevin...yes... you are so right....absolutely the same concept! :)

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Mackey wrote: "She's written a book about my husband?!"

Lol! That remark made me giggle......

Cheri So happy for you that you received an ARC for this! I will have to live vicariously through you since I have not, at least not yet... it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Paromjit Cheri wrote: "So happy for you that you received an ARC for this! I will have to live vicariously through you since I have not, at least not yet... it couldn't happen to a nicer person."

I will be reading this soon Cheri.....here’s hoping you get hold of this soon.... thank you sweetheart. :)

message 10: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Stunning review Paromjit😄

Amalia Gavea Brilliant, beautiful review!! I can't wait for this one, Paromjit!

message 12: by Suzy (new)

Suzy You are reminding me that I meant to read Himself! Just put myself on the wait list at the library.

Jaline Outstanding review, Paromjit! Like you and so many of our GR Friends, I also loved Himself. Still, through my work (before I retired) I got to know a couple of hoarders first hand, and the syndrome fascinates me. The other elements sound intriguing, too - your review is so good I just had to add this one to my wishlist! :)

message 14: by Dem (new)

Dem Great review and hoping to read Himself soon and will add this one if it works for me.

message 15: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Kalin Brilliant review, Paromjit! Can’t wait to read Himself.

Diane S ☔ Different title in the states, but I loved Himself too, can't wait to read. Brilliant review, Paromijit.

message 17: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Awesome review! I'm intrigued! The characters sound really interesting.

Abbie Great review!

Paromjit Maureen wrote: "Stunning review Paromjit😄"

Thank you so much, Maureen, so generous. :) xo

Paromjit Amalia wrote: "Brilliant, beautiful review!! I can't wait for this one, Paromjit!"

Thank you dear Amalia, and I truly hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Paromjit Maddie wrote: "Fantastic Review, Paromjit love 💓"

eYou are so full of generosity, Maddie. Thank you my lovely. :) xoxo

Paromjit Suzy wrote: "You are reminding me that I meant to read Himself! Just put myself on the wait list at the library."

Hope you get to read it soon, Suzy!

Paromjit Jaline wrote: "Outstanding review, Paromjit! Like you and so many of our GR Friends, I also loved Himself. Still, through my work (before I retired) I got to know a couple of hoarders first hand, and the syndrome..."

Ooh, Jaline, a book I think you will love! You are so wonderfully kind, and I cannot thank you enough! :)

Paromjit Dem wrote: "Great review and hoping to read Himself soon and will add this one if it works for me."

Thank you Dem, I am banking on you really liking Himself! :)

Paromjit Paula wrote: "Brilliant review, Paromjit! Can’t wait to read Himself."

Oh, Paula, I think you will really love it! Thank you sweetie. :)

Paromjit Diane S ☔ wrote: "Different title in the states, but I loved Himself too, can't wait to read. Brilliant review, Paromijit."

Thank you, Diane...I hope it becomes available in the US soon, and I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :) xox

Paromjit Taryn wrote: "Awesome review! I'm intrigued! The characters sound really interesting."

Thank you dearest Taryn...I was wondering if you had read Himself? I think you will like this one! :)

Marialyce Lovely review as always, Paromjit. Anxious to read one of her books soon.

Paromjit Abbie wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you so much, Abbie. :)

message 30: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Great review, Paromjit! Glad to hear this is almost as good as "Himself."

Paromjit Marialyce wrote: "Lovely review as always, Paromjit. Anxious to read one of her books soon."

Many thanks Marialyce...I think you will like this author! :)

Paromjit Dianne wrote: "Great review, Paromjit! Glad to hear this is almost as good as "Himself.""

Many thanks, Dianne, appreciated. :)

message 33: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Sounds intriguing Paromjit! Great review.

Paromjit Holly wrote: "Sounds intriguing Paromjit! Great review."

Thank you dear Holly....I very much enjoyed reading this! :)

Linda Harris Loved "Himself".....Just started reading this one.... Liking it so far.... Great review as always

Paromjit Linda wrote: "Loved "Himself".....Just started reading this one.... Liking it so far.... Great review as always"

Thank you so much, Linda....so hope you enjoy reading this! :)

Cheri Fabulous review, Paromjit, I loved reading your thoughts on this. I'm still a bit under the spell of this one.

Paromjit Cheri wrote: "Fabulous review, Paromjit, I loved reading your thoughts on this. I'm still a bit under the spell of this one."

Loved your amazing review, Cheri.... and so many thanks, sweetheart. :)

message 39: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran Paromjit...excellent review with a superb number of descriptive adjectives. Your review was totally engrossing!

Paromjit Fran wrote: "Paromjit...excellent review with a superb number of descriptive adjectives. Your review was totally engrossing!"

Thank you 🙏 Fran....it’s that kind of a book that had me wanting to give a flavour of the style of writing. 😘😘😘😘

message 41: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine This looks very intriguing, Paromjit. I love your thoughtful review!

Paromjit Thank you, Chris....I have her latest book....really looking forward to reading it! :)

message 43: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Jackson Wonderful review Paromjit :)
If Himself is the better book I'm in for a treat as I loved this one!

Paromjit Lucy wrote: "Wonderful review Paromjit :)
If Himself is the better book I'm in for a treat as I loved this one!"

Thank you, Lucy..... I think you will absolutely adore Himself!! 💝💞

Kevin Ansbro What a fabulous review, Paromjit!
Jess Kidd is a gifted storyteller.

Paromjit Thank you, Kevin.....not so long ago I read Jess’s latest book......set in the Victorian era and loved it too! 😍😍

Kevin Ansbro Paromjit wrote: "Thank you, Kevin.....not so long ago I read Jess’s latest book......set in the Victorian era and loved it too! 😍😍"

I didn't even know she had another book out! : (
Things in Jars: I must add it forthwith!
Thanks, Paromjit!

message 48: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni Seriously? Three books now?! I started at the first review, which was brilliant, Paromjit. Then discovered there was a debut novel before this: Himself; ok, I thought two books to add to the pile. Then at the end, or most recent comments, someone, I think it was Kevin, ya, it was definitely Kevin! Kevin said there's a third book now!!! Ahhhhhh! Fine, I'll add all three! 😎

Paromjit Thank you so much, Toni......I have high hopes you will love Jess Kidd!! 😊😊