Samantha's Reviews > The Fifth Season

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

NK Jemisin has been on my "authors to try" list for quite a while, having been suggested to me by many a sci-fi/fantasy loving woman.

The voice had me from the get-go, as did the pathos of the first tragedy (warning: this is a book with many a tragic element). But the narration was magnetic. Without even knowing who I was listening to, I wanted to know what this character would have to say.

I can't say much about my favorite aspect without spoiling it for other readers. So, I'll just say that the narrative structure was used to great effect, leading to surprising character reveals and I was thrilled by being surprised without feeling manipulated.

I also loved the matter of fact attitude about different horrors and tragedies visited on the characters. That understatement let me feel the pain of the characters more effectively than purple prose and lurid detail would have because I wasn't put off from looking in the first place.

Great book. Really. I'll be back for the rest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fifth Season.

September 26, 2017 – Started Reading
September 26, 2017 – Shelved
October 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Khoward50 (new) - added it

Khoward50 I had taken a break from this type of story but putting this on my want to read list.