Peter Jones's Reviews > The Pursuit of Holiness

The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

2071053

A fantastic book on Christian holiness. Avoids both being too general to be any good and being so specific that it becomes legalism. Bridges book is quite the contrast to much current teaching on sanctification. He is clear and plain and therefore he hits the target, unlike many today whose teaching is like a soft nerf bullet. He does not qualify things to death constantly saying things like, "Well I don't mean that." He says simply we must be holy. We must lead righteous lives. He does not talk about brokenness, weakness, defeat, etc. He talks about disobedience. The sappy sentimentality of evangelical Christianity is missing. The constant focus on grace to the exclusion of faithful, consistent obedience is also missing. He talks about obeying God with our whole self, body, mind, and will. He talks about how we make excuses for our sins and give up too easily. The book was convicting in a way I did not expect. Bridges recently died. We need more men like him.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Holiness.

September 26, 2017 – Started Reading