Mackey's Reviews > The Stolen Marriage

The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain

bookshelves: fiction-general, my-reviews, historical-fiction

Diane Chamberlain is a new author for me and I'm thrilled to have found her work! A Stolen Marriage is a well written historical fiction/romance novel that is heavy on the history and light on the romance which is exactly how I like these books.

Set during the 1940s, the story begins in the northeast but, due to a twist of fate, our heroine soon finds herself pregnant, married to the wrong man and on her way to his family home in the deep DEEP southern US. The war is raging overseas and at home there is a polio outbreak. Even with their hands full, these southern families have time for causing trouble based on their racial, religious and ethnic prejudices which leads to the climatic conclusion of this story.

Chamberlain devotes a lot of research to the era and the tension and bigotry expressed is spot on - for that that time period and today in the southern US. I appreciate her character development and flawless prose. There were times that I felt there was a bit of melodrama but overall the book was terrific. I highly recommend it for those who enjoy this genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen Marriage.

September 26, 2017 – Shelved
September 26, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 4, 2017 – Started Reading
November 15, 2017 – Shelved as: fiction-general
November 15, 2017 – Shelved as: my-reviews
November 15, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Jennifer (Jen's Page Turners) I haven't read her either but I have a few on my shelf! Sounds like a good read!

message 2: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Terrific review Mackey.

Holly  B Enjoyed your review Mackey!

Marialyce Truly a wonderful book and review, Mackey!

message 5: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Awesome review, Mackey! :)

message 6: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Mackey!:-)

message 7: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Mackey!

message 8: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Great review, Mackey! Glad you enjoyed your first read by this author! 💙

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Thoughtful n good review, Mackey!

Mackey Jennifer wrote: "I haven't read her either but I have a few on my shelf! Sounds like a good read!"

Apparently she has written a LOT of books! I'm late to the party on this one but I'll definitely read more.

Mackey Maureen wrote: "Terrific review Mackey."

Thanks Maureen!

Mackey Holly wrote: "Enjoyed your review Mackey!"
I'm glad, thanks Holly.

Mackey Marialyce wrote: "Truly a wonderful book and review, Mackey!"

I'm glad you liked the book too Marialyce! Thanks!

Mackey Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Mackey!:-)"

Jaline wrote: "Awesome review, Mackey! :)"

Thank you Kaceey and Jaline! Your comments mean so much!

Mackey PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Mackey!"

Thank you for commenting PirshaJo! 🙂

Mackey Nazanin wrote: "Great review, Mackey! Glad you enjoyed your first read by this author! 💙"

Thanks dear - a first read is always a gamble. 💜🌸💜

message 17: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Mackey!

Mackey Diane wrote: "Thoughtful n good review, Mackey!"

Thanks so much Diane!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Mackey!

message 20: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors..I am going to send you a recommendation for one of her books that is an absolute favorite of mine. Excellent review, Mackey!

Mackey Brenda wrote: "Wonderful review, Mackey!"

Thanks so much Brenda!

Mackey Crumb wrote: "Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors..I am going to send you a recommendation for one of her books that is an absolute favorite of mine. Excellent review, Mackey!"

Thank you Crumb! I just got your recommendation and I added it. Thanks! It looks good!

message 23: by Crumb (new) - added it

Crumb Mackey wrote: "Crumb wrote: "Diane Chamberlain is one of my favorite authors..I am going to send you a recommendation for one of her books that is an absolute favorite of mine. Excellent review, Ma..."

Great!

message 24: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Fabulous review Mackey! Glad you enjoyed this one. :)

Mackey Susanne wrote: "Fabulous review Mackey! Glad you enjoyed this one. :)"

Thank you much Susanne!

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Harker Love Diane Chamberlain is my absolute favourite author too xx

Mackey Lisa wrote: "Love Diane Chamberlain is my absolute favourite author too xx"

I think it's obvious that I need to read many more of her books! I'll work on that this winter.

message 28: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Great review, Mackey! DC certainly knows how to write a story! I have all of her books that are available in print.

message 29: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I have yet to read a Diane Chamberlain book but I keep hearing so many great things about her. It sounds like it's a good little read. I need to pick this one up. She's written so many books I haven't known which one to start with. This sounds like a good option.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review Mackey! Glad you loved this one too.