S. B.'s Reviews > Missing From Me

Missing From Me by Jayne Frost

U 50x66

I have just finished this book, and the first word that comes to mind to describe it is epic.
I truly enjoyed the first two books in this series, but they were like appetizers -really good appetizers. This was a full, five course dinner served at the big table with wine pairings.

While I know nothing about the lifestyle, challenges and pleasures of touring musicians and bands, it is evident that the author does, which makes for a credible and authentic setting. But the heart of the story is universal: couples fall deeply in love, but because they are human they do stupid stuff that causes pain and breaks them apart. Then they have to work really hard when the opportunity arises to recapture it, often with a few steps back for every step forward. The story could be told with characters from any walk of life, but Sean the musician and Anna the prospective law student make great protagonists. The challenge of attaining each of their dreams while making a relationship work highlights the human flaws in each of them, but eventually leads to discovery of the growth they need to have to make a relationship work. Sean is a good guy who does stupid stuff and has to learn how his actions affect others. Anna has to figure out what it is she really wants and how to get it without losing herself. Toss all this together with band mates, managers, lawyers, family, groupies, and record label demands, and you get one heck of a tale.

This is a really great, engrossing book filled with wonderful characters, and written so beautifully you can lose yourself in the story. It could have been a simple, second-chance narrative like so many that pop up these days. This one is different in the level of depth and nuance it attains. If you are in the mood for this type of book, you will not regret the time you spend looking in on Sean, Anna, and the people in their world.

I received a free advance copy of this book with no obligation to post a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing From Me.

Finished Reading
September 26, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ I cant wait for this book to come out! I saw the preview in the back of the last book and that was at Christmas last year.