Victor Davis's Reviews > How to Read Water: Clues and Patterns from Puddles to the Sea: Learn to Gauge Depth, Navigate, Forecast Weather, and Make Other Predictions with Water

How to Read Water by Tristan Gooley

Sep 29, 2017

bookshelves: reference
Read from September 22 to 28, 2017

Charming, whimsical read. I'm amazed how quickly I tore through this mini-tome. It works great as a reference book, dog-eared and highlighted on your shelf for those rare days when your newly intensified sense of observation kicks in and you notice something about the water you never have before. I will henceforth be more highly tuned to cats paws, dead wakes, refracted ripples, the direction of the prevailing wind, and the cardinal direction in which puddles form around paths and obstacles. Sadly, I don't live on the water, though this book has encouraged me to spend more time on the lakes, streams, and rivers in my area. I might even dig a backyard pond!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Read Water.

Quotes Victor Liked

“This is what the great artists manage. They flatter us, by observing better than others and then speaking to each of us as individuals and in a language that we worry we may be the only ones left caring for.”
Tristan Gooley, How To Read Water: Clues, Signs & Patterns from Puddles to the Sea

09/26/2017 marked as: currently-reading