Matthew's Reviews > Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

bookshelves: library, mystery, suspense, horror, gr_awards_2018, 2017

The story of people in a remote town trapped by mysterious circumstances . . . no, wait, that's Under the Dome!

How about . . . the story of a mysterious disease and the fight between good and evil . . . darn it! That's The Stand!

One more try . . . the story of a magical prisoner who . . . ah, crap, I give up . . . that's The Green Mile!

Anyway, this is a pretty good book that brings back a lot of themes from earlier King novels. I have seen some places where people say they can tell the parts where Owen wrote instead of his dad. Not me - if you told me that ol' Stevie wrote the whole thing, I would believe it.

For a 700 page book I felt like it went pretty quick. At first, I had a hard time getting into it and I had 600 pages ahead of me, so I was kind of nervous. However, after I got comfortable with the 2.3 million characters in this book, it was all gravy from there!

3.5 rounded up to 4

Would I recommend this to a King first timer? Nope. But, if you are looking for a bit of King nostalgia after the Hodges Trilogy - which didn't feel all that much like King - then this is worth a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauties.

September 26, 2017 – Started Reading
page 28
3.99% "The Avon Lady"
September 27, 2017 –
page 52
7.41% "That cotton stuff . . ."
September 30, 2017 –
page 136
19.37% "Highly caffeinated"
October 3, 2017 –
page 176
25.07% "I'm a Loser baby . . ."
October 4, 2017 –
page 241
34.33% "Super-coffee"
October 5, 2017 –
page 279
39.74% "If you haven't read Atonement by Ian McEwan yet, but you want to, and you also want to read Sleeping Beauties . . . BE AWARE, unless you read Atonement first, there is part of Sleeping Beauties that is going to ruin it for you - SPOILER ALERT!"
October 6, 2017 –
page 319
45.44% "Screwdriver"
October 7, 2017 –
page 358
51.0% "Sleep perchance to dream"
October 8, 2017 –
page 376
53.56% "This book makes me sooooooo tired!"
October 9, 2017 –
page 401
57.12% "The other side"
October 10, 2017 –
page 434
61.82% "The attic"
October 11, 2017 –
page 480
68.38% "Not going down without a fight"
100.0% "Roadblock"
page 568
80.91% "Hallucinations"
October 16, 2017 –
page 616
87.75% ""It had been easier than he might have guessed to kill someone. Which only made it worse""
October 17, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 31, 2017 – Shelved as: gr_awards_2018
October 31, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 103 (103 new)

Kandice Have you read The Fireman by Joe Hill? It was a lot like that too.

Matthew Kandice wrote: "Have you read The Fireman by Joe Hill? It was a lot like that too."

I did - and I can see the resemblance. However, the Fireman drug on for me and I didn't enjoy it quite as much as this one.

message 3: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Great review Matthew but why are Stephen King's books so long?

Matthew Erin wrote: "Great review Matthew but why are Stephen King's books so long?"

He doesn't want to leave any words for anyone else!

Kandice LOL!

message 6: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Great review, Matthew - funny, too! :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Great review Matthew! Ah... the Hodges trilogy... -grimaces quietly in her corner-

Matthew Jaline wrote: "Great review, Matthew - funny, too! :)"

Thanks, Jaline!

Matthew Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Great review Matthew! Ah... the Hodges trilogy... -grimaces quietly in her corner-"

Thanks! Actually, I liked the Hodges Trilogy okay, it just didn't feel like King to me.

Matthew Jen wrote: "Great review!!"

Thanks Jen - I appreciate it!

message 11: by Poonam (new) - added it

Poonam Great review Matthew! I plan to pick this one up soon. I haven't read any of the king books that you mentioned in the review but have read a few others (The Shining, Salem's lot).... Would I still enjoy this one?

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Great review, Matthew! Thinking about adding this one to my TBR pile, but it might topple over.

Matthew Poonam wrote: "Great review Matthew! I plan to pick this one up soon. I haven't read any of the king books that you mentioned in the review but have read a few others (The Shining, Salem's lot).... Would I still ..."

This is different than the ones you mentioned, but you may still enjoy it. It is more like the books he released in his "middle years", if that is what you would call them.

Matthew Sarah wrote: "Great review, Matthew! Thinking about adding this one to my TBR pile, but it might topple over."

If anything would topple your TBR pile, it would be this book!

message 15: by Ginger (new) - added it

Ginger Great review Matthew!

Matthew Ginger wrote: "Great review Matthew!"

Thanks, Ginger!

message 17: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Great review, Matthew! I keep hearing mixed things about this one, but I'm glad you liked it!

Matthew Dennis wrote: "Great review, Matthew! I keep hearing mixed things about this one, but I'm glad you liked it!"

Thanks, Dennis! I enjoyed this more than I expected after the things I had been hearing . . . I imagine some people who read my review might go in with a positive outlook and end up on the side that of those who are not as happy with it - enter at your own risk! :)

message 19: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Great Review!!!!!

Matthew Beth wrote: "Great Review!!!!!"

Thank you, Beth!

Debra great review. I am hearing very mixed reviews on this one. I'll give it the old college try when my copy comes in from the library.

Matthew Debra wrote: "great review. I am hearing very mixed reviews on this one. I'll give it the old college try when my copy comes in from the library."

Thanks! I hope you enjoy!

message 23: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Hey, Matthew! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!! Sounds great to me, but I don't have a copy yet.

Matthew Dustin wrote: "Hey, Matthew! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!! Sounds great to me, but I don't have a copy yet."

Are you going to buy or waiting on a library hold?

message 25: by LaDonna (new) - added it

LaDonna Great review, Matthew!

Matthew LaDonna wrote: "Great review, Matthew!"

Thanks, LaDonna! 😊

message 27: by Cyndi (new) - added it

Cyndi Great review! I loved all the books you mentioned, especially The Stand, so I'll have to read this one, too. 😊

Matthew Cyndi wrote: "Great review! I loved all the books you mentioned, especially The Stand, so I'll have to read this one, too. 😊"

Thanks! I hope you like this one, too!

message 29: by joyce g (new) - added it

joyce g I have my copy in hand, so excited!

Matthew joyce g wrote: "I have my copy in hand, so excited!"

Have fun!

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol Well-crafted review Matthew. I'm going to listen to this one day but I'm a bit worried now that I hear there are a million characters. I might be able to keep 750,000 straight but think my brain might freak at 1 mil.

Matthew Carol wrote: "Well-crafted review Matthew. I'm going to listen to this one day but I'm a bit worried now that I hear there are a million characters. I might be able to keep 750,000 straight but think my brain mi..."

Thanks! It's not too bad once you get a third of the way in or so. I found it harder to keep track of the women than the men.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Funny guy ! I was going to say you have read to many Stephen King books, but that can't be true. There's no such thing.
I loved your review. I actually love when he makes his books like doorstops.
If you think I can handle all those people, I will add it to my list. Sounds interesting, I migt have to wait until I get off the pain meds though. Haha !!

Matthew Sarah wrote: "Funny guy ! I was going to say you have read to many Stephen King books, but that can't be true. There's no such thing.
I loved your review. I actually love when he makes his books like doorstops...."

Well, I can't promise that you can handle all the charaters, but it gets easier the more you read it! (At least it was for me)

message 35: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I'm not sure, Matthew. As a collector and long time Constant Reader, I would love nothing more than to own this beauty (no pun intended,) but I might have to find a copy through the library.

Matthew Dustin wrote: "I'm not sure, Matthew. As a collector and long time Constant Reader, I would love nothing more than to own this beauty (no pun intended,) but I might have to find a copy through the library."

If you buy it, you may need a new bookshelf for this monster!

message 37: by Heather V (new)

Heather V  ~The Other Heather~ I'm one of those people recovering from Hodges & just had a giant hardcover edition of this given to me; you've sold me on it. :-D

Matthew Heather V wrote: "I'm one of those people recovering from Hodges & just had a giant hardcover edition of this given to me; you've sold me on it. :-D"

Ah, a gift of literature! Definitely a sign you should read it soon!😃

Kandice While I didn't love this as much as I wanted to, I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Deluxe Dark Regions Press edition just because it's the first he wrote with Owen. Decisions, decisions...

Matthew Kandice wrote: "While I didn't love this as much as I wanted to, I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Deluxe Dark Regions Press edition just because it's the first he wrote with Owen. Decisions, decision..."

I know not of this "Dark Regions Press edition" . . . . tell me more! :)

Kandice But I think I'd rather have this: https://darkregions.com/products/the-...

Matthew Kandice wrote: "But I think I'd rather have this: https://darkregions.com/products/the-..."

Kandice wrote: "https://darkregions.com/products/slee..."

Oooohhh - they both look cool - but The Shining one definitely has the background to it that would make that collectors edition even better!

message 44: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Matthew wrote: "Dustin wrote: "I'm not sure, Matthew. As a collector and long time Constant Reader, I would love nothing more than to own this beauty (no pun intended,) but I might have to find a copy through the ..."

Very true. I love King's tomes, though.:)

message 45: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Kandice wrote: "But I think I'd rather have this: https://darkregions.com/products/the-..."

That's beautiful, Kandice! Thanks for sharing.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* I couldn't tell who wrote what either, but I would be interested in knowing 'how' they collaborated. . .

Matthew Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I couldn't tell who wrote what either, but I would be interested in knowing 'how' they collaborated. . ."

Definitely! I always wonder how collaborative efforts work. One of my favorite series is the Preston & Child Pendergast series and I often wonder how they do it.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Matthew wrote: "Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I couldn't tell who wrote what either, but I would be interested in knowing 'how' they collaborated. . ."

Definitel..."

Matthew Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Have you read No Rest for the Dead which is written by more than 20 authors? It works really well. They each wrote a chapter, and some of them wrote two."

I have not - but that sounds very interesting! Reminds me of the game kids play where you go around the circle and tell the story with each person doing a sentence or two.

message 50: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana awesome review Matthew! I've only read 2 books by King, my favourite being Carrie. What are some of your favourite works by him? I hope to read more in the future but can't decide since he's written a lot!

« previous 1 3