Elisa's Reviews > A Matter of Loyalty

A Matter of Loyalty by Anselm Audley

bookshelves: first-reads

The best compliment that I can give Anselm Audley is that I didn't realize that he had written this novel. The style is so close to Elizabeth Edmonson's previous books, that I had no idea that she had passed away and that he had completed this last volume. It has all the best parts that we've grown to love. Hugo Hawksworth is once again involved in a case of espionage and murder. He knows that there is a mole in their organization, but is not so convinced that it is who everyone thinks. There is also a ton of gossip and all the supporting characters we now know make appearances. The banter between Hugo's sister Georgia and Polly, the Earl of Selchester's daughter made me laugh out loud. The last part was very suspenseful, and I loved the ending - which also closes this series. The mystery is compelling and the culprit surprised me. This novel won't disappoint fans and will make newbies want to go back and read the previous volumes.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Loyalty.

September 25, 2017 – Started Reading
September 25, 2017 – Shelved
September 25, 2017 – Shelved as: first-reads
September 28, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Debbie I didn't know that you had read this series!
I thought the same as you: that it was Elizabeth Edmonson who had written this book. I was so sad to realize in the Afterword that this will be the last book of the Selchester series, and that Elizabeth Edmonson is no longer with us. Anselm Audley did a superb job of reproducing his mother's style, but I will miss her writing and her character's very much indeed. :'(

Elisa Hi Debbie, you actually recommended this series to me and I loved it. Too bad there won't be any more!