Johannes Punkt's Reviews > Poseidon's Wake

Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds

M 50x66

it was ok

Man, what an anticlimax. I was looking up synonyms for "anticlimax" because the word didn't contain all the nuances I wanted and I stumbled over "bathos" under 'related words', and well, bathos is also an appropriate word to use when talking about this book. It's like the lack of awards and overwhelmingly positive hard-sci-fi reader responses fizzled out Reynolds' enthusiasm for this series and left all the characters flat and bathic, the emotional scenes mostly off-key. Though they hit a few notes right, that feels more like a statistical certainty than an understanding of humanity and emotions. I don't expect prose mastery from Reynolds and I get none. In this book's defence, I guess, it is very easy to read the sentences. Because there is no weight behind them, nothing that can make me stop and contemplate. I just don't believe the words.

And now you're thinking, why read space opera if you're looking for emotions and prose? Well, this is supposed to be Reynolds' softer sci-fi, and space opera is based on character, and I was led to believe based on the first -- amazing -- book in this series, and based on what the book is clearly aspiring to do, that I should expect at least some of these things from this series. Instead I get another one of Reynolds' signature moves: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poseidon's Wake.

Started Reading