Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"'s Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

18451976

bookshelves: most-wanted-book-of-2017, the-bests

5+stars

Like a huge wave Black Bird of the Gallows engulfed me in its magic world and did not release me before the last sentence was over. It left me ashore a little stunned and with starry eyes.

rapunzel

Meg Kassel achieved the high feat of making me rediscover a genre that I've read often. No blazé reader here!

-The concept was original with Harbingers and Beekeepers.

-The pace was just right not too rushed not too slow.

-The characters were endeering and relatable.

-The romance was swoony.

rapunzel

-Everything worked perfectly.

But I gush and I haven't explained the story yet!

Take a seventeen year old Angie living with her dad in a small old mining town. Angie has lived a life of neglect with her mom for years until some tragic event led her in her loving father's arms again.
Angie has bagage. She is loaded with traumatic memories but thanks to music and probably therapy she is one of the most sane teenagers I know. She lives happily with her dad and has two great nerd/musicians best friends.

Now introduce a new family moving in the haunted house next door. Haunted as some horrific events happened in the house and no one wants to live in this house anymore.

Of course Angie is curious about her new neighbors. And of course she'll look after her dad's binocular to have a better view. Certainly not to check the new extra gorgeous boy next door...

No luck though as there is a lot of crows in the way. Crows multiplying for weeks. Crows with red eyes and bringing small trove to Angie. Weird you say?

Well add a mysterious man in a wool jacket and a changing blurry face and see if it gets weirder by the day.

Of course the new neighbor would be built and handsome and kind and...Angie is falling for Reece.

All would be well if Reece did not have a huge secret. And if Angie's town was not on the brink of a huge change.

Ok I stop here for the plot.

To make it short:

-Reece was the perfect YA hero. The one to make you wish go back to your first crush. See what he told Angie and tell me if it does not make you fall hard for him:
"The world reeks of death and pain, and you smell like life and joy and everything I can never have."

-Angie was the right mix between strong and flawed, caring and curious, beautiful but not ostentatious.

-The side kicks as in her best friends, her dad and Reece's family had just enough substance to help run the story smoothly.

-The fantasy creatures were a new and fresh concept.

-I love star crossed or doomed lovers.

-The romance was just swoony and had me all starry eyes. A little heart broken for them too.

-The ending was unpredictable and just..right.

Books like this one are real treats for Fantasy YA lovers like me. So read it as it's one of my best 2017 books. It wil certainly not be my last Meg Kassel's.

And buy the printed book as not only is the cover gorgeous but the insidd of the book is just as beautiful!!!

Thanks for reading!

Buy link->http://amzn.to/2ytsd87

Find me on:
Wordpress: Beware Of The Reader
Facebook: Beware Of The Reader
Facebook besties: Best Reading Blogs Ever
Instagram: @bewareofthereader
Twitter: @BewareOffReader

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

September 25, 2017 – Started Reading
September 25, 2017 – Shelved
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: most-wanted-book-of-2017
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: the-bests
September 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Enjoy Sophie! :)
xoxo"

Thank you Patty I did!!!

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Amazing review, hun!

message 4: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Awesome review, Sophie! Glad you loved it! 💛

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "Amazing review, hun!"

Thank you Maria! ;-) xoxo

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Nazanin wrote: "Awesome review, Sophie! Glad you loved it! 💛"

message 7: by ImJaclyn (new)

ImJaclyn Great review! <3

message 8: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕ Glad you loved this one hun! Terrific review <3 xoxo

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy Fabulous review, sweets! xoxo

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Great review, hon x

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" ImJaclyn wrote: "Great review! <3"

Thank you!!!! <3

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"

Thank you Jessica! ;-) xoxo

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Nicola wrote: "Great review, hon x"

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Christy wrote: "Fabulous review, sweets! xoxo"

Thank you so much Christy ;-) <3 <3 <3

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕ wrote: "Glad you loved this one hun! Terrific review <3 xoxo"

Why thank you Sonya!!! xoxo

Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It) OMG! Fabulous review! You are a rockstar :) This was a great breakdown of the book! LOVE

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It) wrote: "OMG! Fabulous review! You are a rockstar :) This was a great breakdown of the book! LOVE"

WOW thank you so much Miranda!!! You made my day *blushing* ;-))) xoxo

◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ Wonderful review, Sophie! I'm glad it was so good :) xx

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Sophie! It sounds really good :)

message 21: by Ana (new)

Ana Great review hun 😘

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" ◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ wrote: "Wonderful review, Sophie! I'm glad it was so good :) xx"

Thank you Anna!!! I loved it :)

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Sophia wrote: "Great review Sophie! It sounds really good :)"
It is Sophia! and thank you!!

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Ana wrote: "Great review hun 😘"

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Fantastic review, babe!! 💋💋

message 26: by Coco.V (new)

Coco.V Awesome review, sweet Sophie! :) 💘