Sheryl's Reviews > The Bayou Strangler: Louisiana’s Most Gruesome Serial Killer

The Bayou Strangler by Fred Rosen

liked it
bookshelves: advanced-readers-copy, true-crime, netgalley

If you like True-Crime this one is for you. Ronald J. Dominique was a prolific serial killer that had killed over twenty men during the late nineties and ending in 2006. I’m still scratching my head trying to come to terms as to how this man got away with his “kill-spree” for as long as he did. Dominique was sloppy, he would dump many of his victims in plain sight, not to mention he had narrowed his hunting grounds to such a small area that when a body was recovered several of the same investigators were called out to the scene. I refuse to think that his targeted victim was the main reason he wasn’t caught sooner, they were young gay black men. The youngest victim was in his late teens and I believe the oldest was in his early forties, they were all black but not all of them were homosexual. Dominque had several lures that he would use if they weren’t interested in having sex for money. This was very disgusting, he would have a photo of a young girl in which he would promise them they could have sex with back at his trailer. While he was prepping this would-be victim before he brought this “young girl” out the man got a good look at Dominque’s trailer of Terror and escaped. There are so many things about this case that baffles me like why didn’t one of these men turn the tables on this pudgy man and kill him instead?
As the body count kept rising, two ambitious investigators knew they had a serial killer on the loose and were able to form a state-wide Task Force. This would free them up to devote more time to go back re-interview acquaintances and family members of some of the victims. They found several common denominators in the case that led them to Dominque who had previously been jailed for a sexual offense before the killings began. They brought him in for questioning and he submitted a DNA sample which linked him to one of his first victims.
I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to write this review without going on a full rant. If you aren’t a real True-Crime fan I would pass on this one. It left me with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, everything about Ronald J. Dominique just made my skin crawl. Mr. Rosen did a great job writing this book when it can make the reader feel such intense feelings of anger.
I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an e-galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bayou Strangler.

September 25, 2017 – Shelved