Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads's Reviews > The Uncrossing

The Uncrossing by Melissa Eastlake

bookshelves: arc-reviews, lgbtqia, ebooks, young-adult, netgalley, mm-main

The Uncrossing is a delightful read with fairytale-esque elements, a dash of mafia like family feuds fuelled with magic and a whole lot of romance.

There's no curse Luke can't uncross but the one on Jeremy is like nothing he's seen before. This affinity sees Luke working for the Kovrov's and working closely with Jeremy.

I love the way magic exists in The Uncrossing, it's our world with magic in it so it was easy to imagine all this taking place. Everyone has a different skill with magic and its not limitless in what it can do, grounding it in the real world. I loved the family element as well. There are several powerful families, including the Kovrov's, that control territories in New York. There's tensions and feuding between them, most notable between the Kovrov's and the Malcolm's.

I loved the family dynamics explored in The Uncrossing. The bonds between Luke and his twin sister, Jeremy and his brothers, etc were well explored and its not all perfect but not all bad either. The relationships were really well nuanced.

At the heart of it all was the relationship between Luke and Jeremy, the best part of it all. Jeremy has been in love with Luke since he was a boy, Luke was perhaps a little slower on the uptake. Despite the fact that Jeremy has been in love for a while, isn't instalove or rushed. I like how natural their relationship was there were ups and downs and some misunderstandings. But all were understandable given what both boys were dealing with and the curse hanging over them. But gah! they were so sweet and if you like sweet with a lot of kissing this is for you!

The Uncrossing really picked up around the 60% mark, the beginning wasn't slow in a bad way but it was necessary to lay the scene and the build up was done really well. There was an element of mystery, for a lot of the book it was clear something was up but you don't know exactly what and there are twists and turns.

That ending though, THAT ENDING. OMG. I really loved how the conclusion was handled, they were successful but not and it wasn't all solved completely and served with a bow. But the very end really surprised, I did not see that coming. At first I was like 'HOW COULD SHE DO THIS TO US?!' but after about 5 minutes I actually fell in love with it, it was so well done.

★ four stars ★

*ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This review and more can be found at https://wildheartreads.wordpress.com/
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncrossing.

September 25, 2017 – Started Reading