Jim's Reviews > The Magic of Recluce

The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

bookshelves: 1audio, 2fiction, 3series, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read September 24, 2017 to September 26, 2017.

I first read this over 25 years ago & it hooked me on the Recluce series. It's the first published, but 17th in the chronology (C17, P01). It was a real journey of discovery that first time as Modesitt built the complicated world through Lerris' eyes, a young, disaffected man who was ignorant of so much. My one real issue with the book is how much he suddenly understood toward the end. I guess he's a lot smarter than I am.

My favorite parts were the woodworking & the horse (large pony). I'm a woodworker &, if it isn't obvious from my profile picture, ride a large pony of my own & even use a hackamore on him. Both require a lot of work that is generally ignored by authors. There were some obvious oversights in both, but Modesitt does a far better job than most & at least he tried hard.

IMO, this book reads a lot better in chronological order than published order. The whole series does. For a list of the current chronology of this series, see my review here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Recluce.

August 21, 2008 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
August 21, 2008 – Shelved as: fantasy (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 7, 2008 – Shelved as: swor... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
July 31, 2013 – Shelved as: 3series (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: 1paper (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: 2fic... (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 24, 2017 – Started Reading