Geoffrey Fox's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Sep 22, 2011

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read September 20, 2011.

This is the silliest thing I've read since 5th grade, which is when I should have read it — but alas, it wasn't published until several decades later. Even now, in my somewhat less silly maturity, there were moments when I had to laugh out loud at the improbability quotients and satire of the pretentious and powerful. Back then, I'll bet I would have become an ardent fan, because every kid knows some other kid as nutty and happily unaware as Zaphod Beeblebrox and sometimes feels like Arthur Dent or, on better days like traveling reporter Ford Prefect. My favorite character was Marvin the maniacally depressed robot (I've known some people like him, too). No need to say more — this has to be one of the most discussed books on the Internet, which was why I finally had to read it. If I feel myself in a silly mood again and ready for some goofy laughter, I may pick up one of the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Karla Huebner I'd say you can't go wrong with Hitchhiker's Guide and its sequels--when you're in need of that kind of silliness. Which adults need as much as kids, although perhaps in different quantities and forms.

Geoffrey Fox Hi, Spotsy. As you may have seen in my blog yesterday, I had to rethink the silliness after seeing what was happening in the supposedly real world. Now I think that Douglas Adams was really on to something, like Voltaire in Candide or Swift in Gulliver's Travels. The Vogons really are out to get us, and there's nothing we can do about it! So, panic.