Darian Onaciu's Reviews > Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

If you've ever slept you should read this book.

I always thought that sleep was a waste of time which drains away about a third of our life. So why bother with it? Why would I not sleep as little as possible and spend my waking time doing things I like?

Well, it seems that there are a throng of reasons why we shouldn't do this, all of them drawn from scientific research.
Let me illustrate this with a quote from the book:

“Scientists have discovered a revolutionary new treatment that makes you live longer. It enhances your memory, makes you more attractive. It keeps you slim and lowers food cravings. It protects you from cancer and dementia. It wards off colds and flu. It lowers your risk of heart attacks and stroke, not to mention diabetes. You’ll even feel happier, less depressed, and less anxious. Are you interested?”

Yep, that's what sleep does and guess what: you're probably doing it wrong.
The tricky part is that both quantity and quality matter.

The book guides you on the journey to sleep better and improve your quality of life tremendously.
Given the fact that we spend so much of our life sleeping, I highly recommend this book in order to understand sleep better and improve it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

September 24, 2017 – Shelved
September 24, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 5, 2018 – Started Reading
July 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Adina (new)

Adina Sound something I will enjoy as I love sleeping. :)) It will make me feel better about my 9 hours of daily sleep.

Darian Onaciu Funny thing is the author says that sleep is so important that he appreciates and encourages people who fall asleep while reading his book.
It made me reevaluate my sleeping habits and I'm currently working on enhancing both the duration and the quality of my sleep.
For sure you'll enjoy it, even the more boring parts where you'll fall asleep. :))

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd N Looks very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation (again).

Darian Onaciu Todd wrote: "Looks very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation (again)."

You're welcome, Todd, and I hope you like it.

Raluca Ciocian Ardeleanu Does it offer advice for people who have trouble falling asleep or just have a completely messy sleep schedule?

Darian Onaciu Yes, as far as I remember it does for both cases.
If you'd only like the advice you can search online - he has lots of talks and articles which distill some rules for sleeping better.

However I'd also recommend the book and not only because he's the only author who's glad if you fall asleep while reading his book. :)