Elizabeth's Reviews > Brood of Bones

Brood of Bones by A.E. Marling

bookshelves: favourite-worldbuilding, series-i-want-to-continue

WOW. This was just so darned good, stop reading this review and go get it. Get all of E.E. Marling's books.
What, still reading? Do I have to go over how the magic systems are intricate and fascinating? How the characters are complex and the plot unpredictable without being confusing? About all the heart pounding magical showdowns?
Not to mention how the Lord of the Feast, Tethial (I think I'm spelling that right, I listened to the audiobook. I've been spelling Hiresha as Hyratia in my head the whole time) is just a bloody amazing character, and he's going into my Favourite Character Box with the Doctor, the Fool, Locke Lamora, Elodin, and Wayne from the second Mistborn era.
And how Hiresha, who has ?narcolepsy? still has it at the end of the book without being magically cured! Shock! Horror! It's so refreshing to see disability not trivialised or erased in fantasy.
And how the reader did wonderful justice to Hiresha's inner voice. This character is so sweetly human, with pretty normal fears and desires. She's socially awkward and absolutely terrifying when she gets her enchantress on.
It is not often I finish a first book of a series, by an author who's new to me and not a huge name in fantasy, thinking "I've got to get all the books. Shut up and take my money," but I did with this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brood of Bones.

September 24, 2017 – Shelved