Katie Casey's Reviews > The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea

The Go-Giver by Bob Burg

1011936
Sep 22, 2011

bookshelves: crown-library
Read from September 13 to 14, 2013 — I own a copy

This is a great little business allegory - kind of a cross between The Ultimate Gift and Who Moved My Cheese. I really liked it and found a lot of great applicable information in it.

The subject of the book, Joe, embarks on a week of growth in which he learns 5 distinct lessons each with different people modeling a different character trait.

The Five Laws of Stratospheric Success

The Law of Value
Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.

The Law of Compensation
Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.

The Law of Influence
Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.

The Law of Authenticity
The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.

The Law of Receptivity
The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.

*The Law of Authenticity was modeled by a real estate agent, so I really liked that part! ;-)

Some of my favorite nuggets:

At one point Pindar (the guide on this journey) is telling Joe about Larry King telling him "I believe that a person can reach a certain level of success without being particularly special. But to get really, really big, to reach the kind of stratospheric success we're talking about, people need to have something on the inside, something that's genuine." (pg. 11)

The golden rule of business: "All things being equal, people will do business with and refer business to those people they know, like and trust." (pg. 27)

"If you want more success, find a way to serve more people. It's that simple." ... "It also means there are NO LIMITATIONS on what you can earn, because you can always find more people to serve." (pg. 46)

A network does't necessarily mean your customers or clients = people who know you, like you and trust you. "Your own army of personal walking ambassadors." (pg. 66)

"As long as you're trying to be someone else, or putting on some act or behavior someone else taught you, you have no possibility of truly reaching people. The most valuable thing you have to give people is yourself. No matter what you think you're selling, what you're really offering is you." (pg. 92)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Go-Giver.

09/14/2013 marked as: read