Mary Drover's Reviews > Forever Young: A Life of Adventure in Air and Space

Forever Young by John W. Young

bookshelves: space, nonfiction

Ha, I started this in March, but I literally only read the Foreword (by Mike Collins, whom I also love!), and then who the heck knows what happened, but I didn’t pick it up again until I was having this massive and sudden longing for space. John Young flew on Gemini X, which saw astronauts in Earth’s orbit as they prepared for a bigger and bolder mission; on Apollo 10, which orbited the moon and had the lunar module descend (but not land) to make sure that everything was functional; and commanded Apollo 16, where he walked on the moon, as well as several Shuttle missions. This biography began with his birth in the early 30s and ended in 2012, with him now retired from NASA.

This was really adorable. I spent a lot of time talking about it on my Instagram story or sending my friends screenshots of different passages. I also showed anyone who would listen to me a super handsome picture of John in the beginning of his career. I definitely had a crush on him by the end of the book, but can you blame me? Look at that cutie! This was definitely, however, one of those astronaut books that you really only read if you’re super into space. There was a lot of technical jargon in it that I kind of glossed over, but a lot that was also really, really interesting. Young had a ton of knowledge, and did a lot of amazing things at NASA, and if space is your jam like me, this is definitely worth a read. I laughed, and I cried for the first time in a biography, and I really, truly enjoyed this little handsome dork and all his exclamation points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Young.

September 23, 2017 – Shelved