Brydie Wright's Reviews > Esme's Wish

Esme's Wish by Elizabeth   Foster

Esme's Wish starts like any other realistic YA fiction: - with a troubled teen in the real-world, railing at the powerlessness of her plight in the world of adults. There is clearly an element of mystery from the outset, with the strange disappearance of her mother but no immediate indication of any supernatural elements... Drawn in by a well-paced and relatable realism, the narrative takes a turn (unexpected, for me) towards fantasy but even so, it remains accessible. Esme finds herself in a recognisably human world on "a different plane", rather than a completely imaginary and overly complicated universe, that might alienate any readers but die-hard fantasy fans. I was extremely thankful for this, as an appreciator of good fantasy, without it being the genre I naturally gravitate to.

Esme's Wish is a beautiful example of a light, friendship-focussed fantasy, which I can see appealing to avid, peer-absorbed, teenage readers, with a yen for escapism... and dragons. Yes, dragons. The more I come to know about fans of the fantasy genre, the more I realise the importance of dragons to any popular fantasy novel and Elizabeth Foster is acutely aware of this. We are introduced to the presence of dragons in her fictional world, from an early point but via a masterful sense of pace and suspense, the reader is left pining for the majestic creatures to take their rightful place in the tale. (Even me!) Will we be rewarded with a ride on a dragon? You'll have to read to find out.

The strength of Foster's debut novel is its flawless prose style, underpinned with an intriguing and slowly unravelling mystery, based on the universal truth of the bond between mother and child. Esme and the omnipresent Ariane, draw the reader's sympathies and keep us guessing their fate until the end, only to be rewarded with the promise of a continuing saga, like any good debut in an intended fantasy series. I'm not the target audience for Esme's Wish but it was a satisfying read and well-written to boot. I can imagine myself curling up with the second book when it appears, as I am intrigued by the web of inter-relationships Foster has created. Congratulations on a strong debut!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Esme's Wish.

September 23, 2017 – Shelved