Maureen Carden's Reviews > And The Wolf Shall Dwell

And The Wolf Shall Dwell by Joni Dee

bookshelves: political, thriller, supense, set-in-england

I have a weakness for spy thrillers. I have a weakness for English spy thrillers and Israeli spy thrillers. So imagine my delight when I was handed a book that combines elements of both; new author, new series even better.
An old source contacts his retired handler, Adam Grey. Later, while running for his life, the old source knocks over an Israeli computer maven working in London leaving him a garbled message. Through the wonders of CCTV and facial recognition software the Israeli, John Daniel, is identified and contacted by the former SIS agent, Adam Grey. Grey has been tasked by internal security elements of SIS to discover the meaning of the out- of- the- blue contact and later the message he leaves behind. It looks like some elements of SIS have gone rogue and embarked on a dangerous game of their own.
This is a concisely told story, with not too much extraneous detail, the type of detail that can bog down a story. However, Dee took a few trips back into the past to remind of us a history where hope was actually possible, first in Russia when Yeltsin and the citizenry stood up against the Gang of Eight and to Ramallah in the West Bank in the period between the Oslo Peace Accords and the second Intifada. A time when both peace in Russia and prosperity in Ramallah were on the rise. A heartbreaking reminder, but so necessary to help show why Western Europeans are now experiencing what Israelis have experienced most of their lives.
Dee tells a complete tale, slowly building the tension while developing his characters, enough of the characters that I was left intrigued and wanting to know more about them. I will say every now and then the John Daniel character seemed just a bit wimpy now and then, even for a civilian.
The story switches back in time from 1990 to present day. Sometimes I had a bit of trouble following the time switches.
I am fascinated by detail Dee gives at the workings of Britain’s government and their security services. Ad a Yank I am still confused at the Parliamentary system. As to the accuracy of his SIS scenes, I don’t know, but they sure sound accurate to me.
I had to smile when one of the characters was bemoaning the lack of secrecy concerning Vauxhall Cross, the SIS HQ. Umm, that ship has sailed, it’s been blown up in a Bond film and had been shown in a million other TV shows and movies.
An enjoyable book, a terrific new voice in the espionage canon. I hope I soon see follow ups to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And The Wolf Shall Dwell.

September 23, 2017 – Started Reading
September 25, 2017 – Shelved as: thriller
September 25, 2017 – Shelved as: supense
September 25, 2017 – Shelved as: set-in-england
September 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine I considered this book, Maureen, but it really isn't my thing. I really enjoyed your treat review though.