Jenny's Reviews > Stephen Fry in America

Stephen Fry in America by Stephen Fry

Sep 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, travel

This is not a guide to America. It is what it says it is: Stephen Fry in America. Stephen travels through all 50 states, doing and eating many things on the way, and, all in all, making me feel a bit jealous. The book was made as an accompaniment to the TV series of the same name and, because the book was created secondary to the programme (which I haven't watched), it feels a little rushed and careless. Stephen often sounds tired and disillusioned - his task is a long one and his arm is broken at one point. When he comes across Ohio and Idaho, he just steps over the state line, ticks them off the list and moves on to the next state. The writing is also sometimes a bit awful - for example, "The Keys are the long, low islands at the very south of Florida, the drops of wee that fall from the tip of this most phallic of states." Hmm. But I must stress that I enjoyed it all anyway. The book emphasises the diversity of America, which is something that many people overlook in the face of the global Macdonalds, Starbucks and KFC pandemic. You may as well call me a European rather than a Briton if you have no regard for an American's home state.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stephen Fry in America.