Nandakishore Varma's Reviews > 4.50 from Paddington

4.50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: mystery, agatha-christie

I am a person who loves trains. Absolutely. I can keep on staring out of the windows of a moving train for hours, watching the landscape go by, trying to construct imaginary histories of the people glimpsed.

Well, Mrs. McGillicudy saw something much more exciting - and frightening. She saw a man choking a woman to death on the nearby train, as both trains ran parallel for a few minutes. Now without a clue, without a location, and without even a body, Miss Marple has to solve the case - but solve it she does!

This is one of the strange stories where instead of the conventional Christie whodunit, we have something more in Hitchcock's line. The mystery is there all right - but the unusual premise is what makes it more intriguing.

It is also one of Dame Agatha's funniest. The sequence of all males in one household proposing to the governess - who is Jane Marple's spy, in fact - was hilarious and could have been something out of Wodehouse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 4.50 from Paddington.

Finished Reading
September 22, 2011 – Shelved
October 1, 2011 – Shelved as: mystery
April 5, 2017 – Shelved as: agatha-christie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Seemita Ah! This is one of my Top 3 Christie Novels :)

Niveditha R I read many Christie mysteries in my late teens and early twenties. Unfortunately, I wasn't on Goodreads then to keep a track of all that I had read. Now I can barely remember the titles of the ones that I have read! When I read this summary of yours, I was pretty certain that I had read this one before :) Although for the life of me, I cannot recall who the killer was. :)

Prashant Badiger is the new novel - girl on the train inspired by this book

Nandakishore Varma Prashant wrote: "is the new novel - girl on the train inspired by this book"

I don't think so.

Prashant Badiger murder on the orient express by Agatha is brilliant. I have to read this book too and see how Miss Marple is as smart as Poirot