Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > Beneath the Haunting Sea

Beneath the Haunting Sea by Joanna Ruth Meyer

19951545
I so enjoyed reading this! Didn't think I could write a review for this but then typed this up for my Instagram so... I guess I will share it here. Even if it's not extensive/everything I wanted to say/doesn't do it justice, at least it's something?

DELICIOUS.

I just finished reading Beneath the Haunting Sea and I LOVED IIIIT!

It took me a little while to get into it because the opening was so different from the rest (you have to make it past the desert palace and the voyage) but the second Talia stepped into the spooky mansion Ruen-Dahr I was SO THERE!! :D

There was a smol love triangle which isn't my favorite and sometimes I wanted to smack her (and... other people...) but it resolved quickly. XD

But OH MY GOODNESS THIS BOOOOK!

I love the mansion and the mysteries and the snow and the setting--a lot if the middle felt like an Austen book with a dash of mystery and magic and a terribly dysfunctional family. XD

But the cold and the northern sea and the cottage and the cove and the boat and galloping horses by the sea felt more Celtic somehow and I loved that!

The rest felt like The Silmarillion which of course is a HUGE plus! I haven't read anything that felt so Silmarillion-esque.

IT MIXED TOGETHER SO MANY OF MY FAVORITE THINGS AND WAS POWERFUL AND MAGICAL AND GORGEOUS.

ALSO WEN. My Wendarien is a smol floof of music and quietness and loyalty and occasional wrath and I LOVE HIM. He's the best. :D Talia grew through the book so that I really liked her by the end, the fierce thing. THEY ARE THE BESSST TOGETHER!! The side characters and myths were fascinating. AND I LOVED THE WHALE SO MUCH THAT IS ALL.

I wanted mooooore! I didn't want it to be over. *sniffs* I still loved Echo North more because it's PERFECT, but I adored this one too, and I really loved how I had NO IDEA WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT since it wasn't a retelling. XD (Even though I love those.)

My favorite was the middle and I felt that way about Echo North too. This author writes excellent middles that you just want to live in FOREVERRRR!

Excuse me while I go into withdrawal since there are no more Joanna Ruth Meyer books available yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath the Haunting Sea.

September 22, 2017 – Shelved
25.75% "Ooooh... O_O"
February 20, 2019 –
page 203
50.75% "Delicious.

*glares at clock for making me go to bed when all I want to do is keep reading this forever*"
February 23, 2019 –