Nick Metcalfe's Reviews > Discovering the North-West Passage: The Four-Year Arctic Odyssey of H.M.S. Investigator and the McClure Expedition

Discovering the North-West Passage by Glenn M. Stein

19732606
Sep 22, 2017

This is an outstanding piece of work. Ignoring for one moment the incredible story of the crew of HMS Investigator, this 19th Century tale of exploration is superbly researched and documented; as a reference work for the serious student of the history of exploration in the Arctic and Antarctic it is a 'must read'. The bibliography is extensive, the notes on the primary sources lend much weight to the author's conclusions and the tale itself is well told, without hyperbole or flights of imagination. I ordered this from a library in order to study Stein's history of the Polar Medal. Before beginning the book I read the notes on the sources and I'm glad that I did so first.

Although there is room for a lighter telling of this tale (which I think would please some of the reviewers of this book elsewhere) some events in history require a serious and scholarly study to be worthy of the efforts of those whom it describes and to sit as the definitive historical record. This is such a work and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discovering the North-West Passage.

Finished Reading