Eric Buffington's Reviews > Brothers Haymaker

Brothers Haymaker by Sam Ferguson

The brothers Haymaker is a fun clean fantasy adventure that follows a group of adventurers chasing clues to save a member of the 'Ghosts' a group of warriors from the Troll wars. It is a good read for young readers, I read it with my 11 year old son and we both enjoyed it!

It is fun to follow them through the different places that they adventure, and see the types of people they encounter. It is non stop action from the start which kept me turning the pages wondering what adventure or challenge they would face next.

I really enjoyed that the characters were vulnerable. *Spoiler Alert* not everyone survives. And many of the characters who do survive sustain some serious injuries which makes the adventure seem real and adds to the excitement.

My criticisms that drop this to a 4 star instead of a 5 star are just two things:
1. It seems like half of a story. While they do finish part of their quest, it's not a satisfying ending in my opinion. I like solid endings.
2. I compared it too much to the first book. The first book had a very different feel to it: One main character vs. a team of characters. One quest/purpose vs. multiple mini-missions. I just really loved the first book and this one, in my opinion, was not as good as the original. Still very enjoyable!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brothers Haymaker.

Started Reading