Denise's Reviews > The Frenchman

The Frenchman by Lise McClendon

liked it

This is the fifth book in a series about five sisters, all lawyers. When Merle Bennett's boss asks her to take over her position in the law firm, since she wants to retire, Merle goes to her home in France to think things over and continue work on her novel. France is where she feels she can clear her mind and really live.
On her arrival, things don't go as she planned. Someone has sprayed paint all over the outside of her home. The renovations are not progressing. And most disturbing her boyfriend, who does undercover police work has disappeared.
This is the first book from this series, that I have read. You don't need to read the previous books, since this book is a stand alone story. I enjoyed the mystery part of the story. The author brings to life the countryside of France. However, I did not like the interruptions in the plot, when the author (Merle Bennett) inserts chapters of the book, that she is writing, about a goat herder during the French Revolution. She does try to tie elements of the goat herder's story, with the present day action. But for me, this just doesn't work.
That being said, I probably would read the other books in the series. The present day story does catch my interest.

To read other reviews and win a copy go to:

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Frenchman.

Started Reading
September 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 21, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Emma Thanks for your review Denise. Interesting, I thought combining a historical novel within a mystery was actually giving a wonderful extra layer to the book. Emma at FBT

Denise Emma wrote: "Thanks for your review Denise. Interesting, I thought combining a historical novel within a mystery was actually giving a wonderful extra layer to the book. Emma at FBT"
I think I didn't like it so much, because the story, that she was writing to me seemed like it was being written for a different age group. I kept seeing in my mind, Shirley Temple as the little goat herder in Heidi. I did think it was good, how she tried to tie it in with events and characters in the modern story.