James Trevino's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

I reread this recently, knowing my mind from a few years ago is different from my mind now. But it was surprisingly just as scary! Maybe even more so, if that is possible!!

I wonder if there is someone who has read 1984 and has not felt angry and helpless. It is a good book. It is so good that it made my want to throw away my Kindle. And that is a lot, considering the last time that happened was when I read about The Red Wedding in George R.R. Martin's series.

I also wonder if this world Orwell describes is that far from ours. Big Brother may have become a stupid internet meme and an even stupider TV show (if there are fans here sorrynotsorry), but that somehow makes it even more frightening. In 1984 the oppression is very in your face, but in reality it is hidden through nice words and fancy laws.

At the end of the day, it really makes you ask yourself if safety and security are really what you want. And if they are worth the price...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

Finished Reading
September 21, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Svetlana (new) - added it

Svetlana great review James! I have never read this book but I've seen it for years and I've always heard really good things, might have to pick it up

James Trevino Svetlana wrote: "great review James! I have never read this book but I've seen it for years and I've always heard really good things, might have to pick it up"

You definitely should! It's one of those books that everyone should read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing book!

message 4: by David (new) - added it

David Sarkies Great review. It makes me feel bad that I haven't reviewed this yet but I want to read it again and I lost my copy (and I don't do Kindle).

Cheri Terrific review, it's been a while since I read this, but I really do want to read it again... soon.

message 6: by Janice (new) - added it

Janice Bolick Never cared for this one.

Wahyu Novian Just finished it and yesss. It’s really frightening. And seeing the world today, it’s becoming more and more frightening. Are we that helpless?