Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*'s Reviews > Mistletoe and the Major

Mistletoe and the Major by Anna Campbell

I started my Christmas reading early this year with a lovely, heart-warming second-chance short story from Anna Campbell.

It was love at first sight for Edmund and Felicity (Flick), but they had only been married for two weeks when Edmund received orders to join his regiment. In their short, awkward time together, they had never felt at ease enough with each other to openly discuss their true feelings and were still little more than strangers when Edmund left. After eight long years, Edmund is finally able to return home and is determined to build a real marriage.

Even within the constraints of a short story, Ms. Campbell can still pack a real emotional punch. She made me feel Edmund and Flick’s initial feelings of uncertainty, regret and fear after their long separation. The years running the estate have given Flick a degree of confidence lacking in her younger self. The only child of elderly parents, she was shy and inexperienced when she married and regrets not having been braver and more responsive to her husband’s lovemaking. I like how she is determined to seize this second chance.

Edmund has his own fears. War has changed him, and he is uncertain of the welcome he will receive from Flick, but she sees that he is still the same kind, considerate man she remembers. I like the scene involving the ‘burnt letters’, when Flick’s misunderstanding of the situation leads them to finally talk openly about their feelings for each other and confess their love.

MY VERDICT: A delightful start to my Christmas reading.

**I received a complimentary copy from the author for the purposes of an honest review. **

This review was first published on my Rakes and Rascals Blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistletoe and the Major.

September 20, 2017 – Shelved
September 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2017 – Started Reading
November 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lu I love Christmas reads! I'll make sure to check this one up 😍

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* LuLevy wrote: "I love Christmas reads! I'll make sure to check this one up 😍"

Me too, LuLevy. Anna is one of my favourite authors and I always enjoy her Christmas novellas.