Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*'s Reviews > Show Me the Way

Show Me the Way by A.L. Jackson

Amy writes such incredibly emotional stories and this one definitely hit me in the gut and heart early on. This is a story about two people who have very different lives and back stories but it seems that fate has played a part in drawing them into each other’s present day.

Rex Gunner is a single father to his gorgeous wee daughter, Frankie. His wife left him when Frankie could barely walk and after having his heart broken one too many times he has shut himself off emotionally to everyone else. His every breathing moment is dedicated to being a good dad to his little girl. He will do anything to protect Frankie.

Rynna has just moved back to her hometown of Gingham Lakes, after the death of her beloved Grandmother. After being left not just her home but her well loved pie café, Rynna is determined to honor her memory by carrying on with what her Grandmother started. Rynna has very mixed feelings about returning to this town, she left 11 years ago after being bullied and humiliated so badly in her last year of high school. Her only regret is not seeing her grandmother before she died.

'All moments matter. We just rarely know how important they are until the chance to act on them has already passed. Was this one of those moments that mattered? And why did I feel like I had to take this chance?'

Rynna and Rex are now neighbours. She soon discovers that her grandmother knew both Rex and Frankie very well. Rex is moody and brooding, definitely not open to being a friendly neighbour but it is his gorgeous wee daughter that brings Rynna into their home and daily life. Rex is not interested in getting to know Rynna, let alone making small talk with her but saying no to his daughter is his biggest weakness.

Rex and Rynna have nothing in common but they have everything in common. They just don’t realise it yet.

Rex is definitely attracted to Rynna and it pisses him off. He deals with it by being cold and off-hand with her. He has spent years denying himself happiness because he thinks he doesn’t deserve it. Having any feelings towards a girl will only bring unhappiness into both of their lives so it is not even worth it.

'I didn't even know him, and the man was so mesmerizingly conflicted that he had me overwhelmed with the need to step closer.'

Rynna can sense the pain that Rex holds inside himself and she believes in taking chances, she wants to take that chance with Rex. Thanks goodness for gorgeous wee Frankie! This kid is freaking adorable and it doesn't take long for Rynna to be under her cuteness spell either. The walls that Rex so carefully constructed around his heart are slowly falling down as he falls for Rynna.

'Because you change everything, Rynna. You walk in a room, it's better. And when you walk away, everything grows dimmer. Colder. And I'm tired of living in the dark.'

This is a hugely emotional story as Rynna comes to terms with memories from her past, her grief over losing her grandmother and facing her fears. She is a completely different person now but she finds new found strength in love. Rex's biggest fear is losing his daughter and when his past comes knocking on the front door he is completely rattled over doing the right thing by her.

This is a story of love, sacrifice and redemption. I went through pretty much every emotion ever and loved every moment of it. Another abso-fucking-lutely fabulous story from Amy :-)

'I told you I didn't have anything left to give you. And now, I want to give you everything.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show Me the Way.

September 20, 2017 – Started Reading
September 20, 2017 – Shelved
September 20, 2017 –
10.0% "All moments matter. We just rarely know how important they are until the chance to act on them has already passed. Was this one of those moments that mattered? And why did I feel like I had to take this chance?"
September 21, 2017 –
25.0% "Lust and confusion trembled through my bones, this man pushing me away and then drawing me closer."
September 21, 2017 –
35.0% "Seriously, I think I have already highlighted every sentence I have read so far, I love Amy's writing and I am so emotionally invested in this story :-)"
September 21, 2017 –
45.0% "“I don’t have any chances left to take, Rynna Dayne. I’ve already used up all the ones I’ve been given, and if I take anything else? I’d be nothing but a thief.”"
September 21, 2017 –
60.0% "“I told you I didn’t have anything left to give you. And now, I want to give you everything.”"
September 21, 2017 –
70.0% "Trying not to sneak read at work but OMG this book is just too irresistible! Fantastic writing from Amy once again :-)"
September 22, 2017 –
September 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Beautiful review Jo! xoxo

Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽* Thank you Sue x

message 3: by A.L. (new) - added it

A.L. Jackson Thank you so much for the amazing review!

Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽* A.L. wrote: "Thank you so much for the amazing review!"

Thanks for writing such a fantastic book!

message 5: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine This was an exciting non-stop book. I loved it. I couldn't put it down once I started. You are a great author! I read it in one day. I didn't want it to end. Fantastic!!