Greg's Reviews > George's Marvelous Medicine

George's Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-classics, reviewed

Lately: Mann's "Magic Mountain", Dosty's "Crime and Punishment", halfway through Joyce's "Wake", Knausgard's 5th volume of "My Struggle", and just started Volume 5 of Proust's massive work. Nesbo's intense "Redeemer". Just to name a few summer reads. I deserved a break: this children's book fit the bill. George mixes a cocktail for his grouchy grandma and things go wrong. This Dahl book really doesn't need any prose: the illustrations (of grandma's head popping through the roof of the house, for example) are good enough and thorough enough to tell the story. A light, funny, children's work, great for a break from some rather heavy literature. And from an adult's point of view: "That's a cocktail I'll need tonight after watching the evening news (any evening news). And sometimes I wonder what, exactly, Dahl himself was mixing up when writing his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvelous Medicine.

September 20, 2017 – Started Reading
September 20, 2017 – Shelved
September 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Can't wait to read Dahl books with my son when he's old enough

Greg Richard wrote: "Can't wait to read Dahl books with my son when he's old enough"
Richard, Dahl is just amazing. And although BFG is more famous, I liked this one better.

message 3: by Calzean (new)

Calzean Man, you read a variety of types.

Greg Calzean wrote: "Man, you read a variety of types."
Calzean, thanks for reading my review. And my goal is to read a bit of everything, so again thanks!

message 5: by reem (new)

reem You made me chuckle. It's always good to take a break and venture elsewhere.

Greg reem wrote: "You made me chuckle. It's always good to take a break and venture elsewhere."

It IS great to "venture elsewhere" be it in books or on trains, etc.

message 7: by reem (new)

reem I agree wholeheartedly.