Lee's Reviews > Reaper's Gale

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson

Sep 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read September 21, 2011 to October 18, 2011.

Review to come, but oh-oh a 3 star score? From Erikson? who defaults 4 to 5 stars.
I have to say that I enjoyed the book and the Letharii/Edur relationship is one of the most awesome pieces of writing I have read in a long time. But still this would rank last in my order of preference. More on my thoughts in the review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reaper's Gale.

September 21, 2011 – Started Reading
September 21, 2011 – Shelved
September 29, 2011 –
October 6, 2011 –
October 10, 2011 –
October 11, 2011 –
October 11, 2011 –
50.0% "wow, this has been a little slow for what I have become used to in this series, but it is all starting to come together. I can imagine that it is all going to end in a mad rush bloodbath. Not in my top 3 malazan books, but get the feeling the end is going to elevate it higher than where it is."
October 18, 2011 –
October 18, 2011 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
October 18, 2011 – Finished Reading
October 19, 2013 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
October 19, 2013 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
October 19, 2013 –
page 500
53.88% (Hardcover Edition)
October 31, 2013 –
page 600
64.66% "Convergence warning! convergence warning!\n \n Turn off all rotating fans." (Hardcover Edition)
November 6, 2013 –
page 800
86.21% (Hardcover Edition)
November 7, 2013 –
page 850
91.59% "Whooa! Even though I knew it was coming, that is still a shocking moment." (Hardcover Edition)
November 14, 2013 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)

Lori I won't berate you for the 3 stars, heh. Very much looking forward to further thoughts from you. This book is quite harrowing, and of course one of my favorite characters dies. If I recall correctly, the plot thickens because of the Errant and other Elders, and it's somewhat confusing.

seak I'm looking forward to your review. This was my least favorite in the series...until I read Toll the Hounds. Still a great read, but I think some of these later volumes could have really used some editing.

Lori I'd say Toll the Hounds was my least favorite. Apparently there's background in the Esselmont books that would have made me understand it a bit more.

seak Yeah and Return of the Crimson Guard is a great one. I think I would have been a bit confused in Toll if I hadn't read Return first.

Lori Ah so that's gonna be my Thanksgiving weekend treat! Thanks, Seal.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Yep, I will read Return as well before I attempt Toll. Looking forward to hearing about the guard, they sound quite formidable.

seak Yeah, they're awesome. There are some huge things that happen in Return that are kinda glossed over in Toll.