Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)'s Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: favorite, possess, beat-the-backlist-2018, read-with-my-kids

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”

I can really relate to this quote! People love to give me books (no complaints here), but no one ever gives me socks. I love socks (especially fuzzy socks, but plain socks are great, too). I feel like I never have enough, so I'm always looking to add to my less-than-stellar sock drawer.

I try to re-read this series every year, but it's not always doable. I remember falling in love with reading as a child because of these books. My fourth grade teacher was reading through the books herself, but she didn't start reading them aloud until Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the fourth book), which was cruel and ridiculous (her not the book). Even at a young age, I knew books were meant to be read in the order they were written. Not everything works like the Star Wars movies.

Eventually I checked out the first three books and spent the next week locked in my room. I devoured every page. Harry Potter brought magic and friendship into my life. I could relate to him and his living situation (more than I would ever admit), and it was nice to see him conquering evil every book. He made his life better by choosing to do the right thing, and because he had amazing friends to spend his days with.

I feel like I learn something new every time I re-read these books. It's like they apply to me differently based on where I am in my life. A phrase or an action might make more sense to me now as an adult than it did when I was nine or ten. For example, I thought Snape was romantic and in love when I first read through this series. He was the mean teacher that students avoided, but now I see it was more than that. Snape was a bully. He was biased against Harry from the start, but not because Harry himself had done anything wrong. No, Snape had his own personal issues that he chose to take out on an eleven-year-old child. That's fucked up. His treatment of children should have prevented him from being an instructor entirely. The fact that Dumbledore vouched for him, and saw him as a good friend, only makes me question Dumbledore's judgement.

In the end, this is a series I will always treasure. The characters and the world have literally changed my life. They've been there for me when I needed an escape (more than a lot of other books that I've enjoyed), and I love that I can still find new things about the series every time I pick it up and start to read. It makes it feel like I'm reading it for the first time again.

This re-read I read the book out loud to my son. He's four, so I wasn't sure what he would take away from the story, but he did learn what a unicorn was. I may have skipped over some of the more gruesome aspects of those scenes for his benefit, but still explained to him what a unicorn was and how they appeared. He drew one for me the next day! He might not retain everything I say/read at this point, but I think it's good to expose him to literature and new ideas, concepts, and ways of thinking.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on July 2, 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Quotes Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?) Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

J.K. Rowling
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

J.K. Rowling
“What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally the whole school knows.”

J.K. Rowling
“Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march.”

J.K. Rowling
“Don't play," said Hermione at once.
"Say you're ill," said Ron.
"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.
"Really break your leg," said Ron.”

J.K. Rowling
“Enter, stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn.
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.”

“Harry -- yer a wizard.”

J.K. Rowling
“I believe your friends Misters Fred and George Weasley were responsible for trying to send you a toilet seat. No doubt they thought it would amuse you.”

J.K. Rowling
“Oh, HONESTLY, don't you two read?”

J.K. Rowling
“Call him Voldemort, Harry. Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”

J.K. Rowling
“Even if I could, I wouldn't. Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground.”

J.K. Rowling
“Always the innocent are the first victims, so it has been for ages past, so it is now.”

J.K. Rowling
“He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark.”

J.K. Rowling
“Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind.”

September 20, 2017 – Shelved