Tam May's Reviews > The Ballroom

The Ballroom by Anna Hope

I enjoyed reading this book, for the most part. It is very well told and the historical elements blend to create more of a mirror of the era in sociological and psychological terms (rather than more literal terms, like historical events, although there is some mention of that too, like Queen Victoria's coronation). I actually found myself much more intrigued by Charles and Clem than by the two main characters. One thing I did feel about the book is that there were certain events (which I won't mention so as not to give away spoilers) that seemed more contrived because they fitted into the story rather than emerging naturally from the characters and situations. And I also felt the last 10% of the book was a little rushed. I would have liked to have seen those key events in that last part of the book built up much earlier. I also would have loved to have seen Clem given a voice as the other three characters were. But I would recommend this book for people who like historical literary fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ballroom.

September 19, 2017 – Started Reading