LARRY's Reviews > Jesus Land: A Memoir

Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

62062

bookshelves: memoirs, womens_lives

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

Oh. My. Goodness! Julia writes this honest memoir of her Christian childhood. However, the Christian family is nothing but a facade to impress the members of the local Calvinist church. Julia's mom is obsessed with missionaries and constantly plays Christian music. Her eyes is like those of a hawk, always watching the kids...and spying with the intercom as well.

Julia's surgeon father is worse. He's the one that beats Julia's adopted Black father with 2x4's until they're covered with welts or get broken bones. Julia feels guilty but cannot do anything. So, instead, she turns to alcohol and sex.

While I've never suffered physical abuse, I was familiar with many aspects of Christian living. Such are constant Christian music playing, Christian adages, Scripture throwing and memorizing, letter writing to missionaries, church attendance and many more. However, Julia didn't write the memoir about her perfect Christian childhood. She wrote about the dark horrors she and her brothers suffered through...in the name of Christianity.

And if that wasn't bad, things become worse when David and Julia are sent to the Dominican Republic to a Christian reform school. In an eerie way, it reminded me of a Bible college I once attended for a semester.

Gut-wrenching. Appalling. Unbelieveable. Despite the horrors of Christianity's dark secrets and hypocrisy, Julia's memoirs was an interesting read. At the end is an interview with Julia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Land.

June 19, 2007 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
July 7, 2007 – Shelved as: memoirs
July 7, 2007 – Shelved as: womens_lives

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kathleen Julia's black brother, not father.

Tesla That program in the Dominican Republic is NOT abusive. I was there, so trust me, I know. The staff there are wonderful and amazing and they love their students and truly want to help them. She just wanted to find a way to get attention.