Sh3lly's Reviews > An Enchantment of Ravens

An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret  Rogerson

Isobel is a human, living in a town called Whimsy, who paints portraits. Her exquisite Craft is desired by many fair folk and they exchange enchantments as payment for the art. Her chickens each lay six eggs a week, no one can harm her family in their house.

But you have to be very careful how you word your requests, otherwise the fair folk might slip a trick in the enchantment and you may lose your ability to say words that begin with a vowel, or worse.

One day, Isobel finds out the autumnlands prince is coming to her house for a portrait, and well, a romance begins.
Unfortunately, humans and fair folk are not allowed to fall in love or they are executed or must drink from the Green Well and leave the human world behind.

Before the romance begins, the prince, named Rook, accuses Isobel of trying to sabotage him by painting human emotion on his face. The fair folk may look human, but they do not have emotions, or so it is said. To feel is perceived as weakness. So, he takes Isobel and intends to put her on trial, to try and convince his court he is not weak. Only, of course, he realizes she meant no harm.

Most of this story takes place outside, in the woods where the fair folk live. Even the thrones seem made of trees, branches, and leaves. Nature is very much a part of this story. A prince’s blood can make trees and flowers grow.

The story actually gets dark. These are very much trickster fairies and will turn on you in a snap. Isobel does not want to drink from the Green Well and has no desire to become like Rook, even though she loves him.

So she must find a loophole if she and Rook hope to be together. I liked Isobel and thought she was intelligent and a great female lead. I also liked Rook. The other fairy folk were interesting, if twisted and strange.

This reads like a dark fairytale love story. It’s not exactly action-packed in the beginning, but by the end, I couldn’t read fast enough. I ended up loving it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Enchantment of Ravens.

September 19, 2017 – Shelved
December 22, 2017 – Started Reading
December 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness Great review Stellt 💖 I liked this too. I thought the ending could have been better. It was kinda abrupt. And I wanted more stuff with the twins xD

message 2: by Celise (new) - added it

Celise Yay! Great review and now I think I'll try it next year :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Sounds good, Shelly! Nice review!

Sh3lly Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Sounds good, Shelly! Nice review!"

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it if you read it.

Celise wrote: "Yay! Great review and now I think I'll try it next year :)"

Thank you! I hope you like it! :)

☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness wrote: "Great review Stellt 💖 I liked this too. I thought the ending could have been better. It was kinda abrupt. And I wanted more stuff with the twins xD"

It was a little rushed at the end. The twins were great! LOL

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ YAY! So glad you enjoyed :)))

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yay!!! I'm glad you loved it too 😄💕

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ Must read! Thanks for the wonderful review Shelly!