Ginger's Reviews > Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

bookshelves: 2018, audio

I loved this book!
I’m so glad I finally read Pet Sematary! What a creepy book. The unease and anxiety just keeps building in this book and it's brutal!

I’ll have to be honest here.
(view spoiler)
That’s some damn fine writing since it affected me so bad!

But I pressed on and I’m glad I did. I loved the part with Louis and Jud when they took THE trip into the woods. It was so atmospheric, and I was on the edge of my seat.
You just know at that point in the book that things are going to drastically change when (view spoiler)

I felt sorry for Louis and the decisions he kept having to endure. It was gut wrenching and I'm not sure what I would have done in his shoes.
This book is character driven and about the decisions we make in life. Good and bad!
King did such a good job with this!

Other thoughts, I did not like the character of Rachel Creed. She was a weak character, and I hated how she took her parents side and did not stick with Louis, her husband.

And one last thing. (view spoiler) Total epic! Gah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pet Sematary.

September 19, 2017 – Shelved
September 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
July 1, 2018 – Shelved as: audio
July 5, 2018 – Started Reading
July 6, 2018 –
15.0% "Ahhhhhhhh!!! This is so much creepier then the movie.
I first watched this movie at age 12 back in 1990. It freaked me out then and it’s the doing same at age 40! 😱🤣"
July 9, 2018 –
32.0% "Doing the deed!
"
July 19, 2018 –
44.0% "Norma Crandall"
August 2, 2018 –
50.0% "Am I the only one that doesn't care for Rachel Creed?!"
August 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 1: by James (last edited Jul 09, 2018 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

James Joyce description

Ginger James wrote: ""

Ha! I feel the same James. :D

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Melissa Fantastic review, Ginger! Better than the movie, per usual?

Ginger Melissa wrote: "Fantastic review, Ginger! Better than the movie, per usual?"

Oh yeah! Much better then the movie. The movie doesn't escalate the sense of dread that readers go through.
Thank you Melissa!

message 5: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene So happy you love it Ginger!
My favorite King book 👍
Am I the only one to have enjoyed the movie?

Shaina I think this was my first one of King’s. It’s not easy to read or contemplate, I agree. Much better than the movie. My favorite is Needful Things but this one will always have a special scary place in my heart bc it was the first I read. Great review.

Ginger Marie-Helene wrote: "So happy you love it Ginger!
My favorite King book 👍
Am I the only one to have enjoyed the movie?"

I watched it when I was a kid so I don't remember all the details. I'm planning on re-watching it soon and I can't wait!

Ginger Shaina wrote: "I think this was my first one of King’s. It’s not easy to read or contemplate, I agree. Much better than the movie. My favorite is Needful Things but this one will always have a special scary place..."

Thanks Shaina! I'll have to get to Needful Things one day.

Shaina Ohhh! You haven’t read that one!? Oh boy! That one has a movie too. But so many things happen and build behind the scenes... it’s intricate. So woven. When I was young they had no YA section so we just switched straight to adult and I just went straight to King. Young ppl are lucky today.

message 10: by Ginger (last edited Aug 24, 2018 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger Shaina wrote: "When I was young they had no YA section so we just switched straight to adult and I just went straight to King. Young ppl are lucky today. "

Oh my God, you couldn't have said that any better. We definitely did not have a YA section. I think I had Anne of Green Gables, Where the Wild Things Are and a few more. That's about it! haha
Maybe that's why our generation loves King so much since we went straight to it as kids and he was big in the 80s.

message 11: by TS (new)

TS Chan I'm scared to read this tbh. I bot the audiobook recently but haven't taken the plunge yet.

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Great review, Ginger!

Ginger TS wrote: "I'm scared to read this tbh. I bot the audiobook recently but haven't taken the plunge yet."

I totally get this TS! This was a hard one to read. The sense of dread and foreshadowing was tough on the ole nerves. 🤣

Ginger Matt wrote: "Great review, Ginger!"

Thank you Matt!

Kenneth McKinley Pet Sematary was the first real horror book I read as a kid and it opened the flood gates to what was going to come later. King was clicking on all cylinders during this era and Pet Sematary is one of my favorites. I love the darkness and dread that permeates through the whole story. Louis and Jud are absolutely wonderful characters and your heart rips out of your chest for them as the the story continues to put Louis in one horrible situation after another. Now, you're making me want to go back and reread this all over again. LOL. Great review!

Ginger Ken wrote: "Pet Sematary was the first real horror book I read as a kid and it opened the flood gates to what was going to come later. King was clicking on all cylinders during this era and Pet Sematary is one..."

Thank you Ken! You nailed it by your comment. King was really firing on all cylinders with this book and I also think it’s one of his best. The dread and anxiety of Louis’s decisions are just brutal. You just know it’s not going to end well! 😱🤣

message 17: by ijeoma Agbaje (new)

ijeoma Agbaje Definitely one of King’s better books.

Ginger ijeoma Agbaje wrote: "Definitely one of King’s better books."

I agree Ijeoma!

message 19: by Joe (last edited Aug 25, 2018 01:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Valdez Fantastic review, Ginger. King has often replied to questions about which of his books he believes is the scariest by answering Pet Sematary. I believe he elaborated that as a parent, what scares him most is the loss of a child. What makes it one the scariest novels I've read--along with Let the Right One In--is idea of someone who was an SOB in life pulling themselves out of the grave and coming after you. I highly recommend this book to all those who aren't scaredy cats!

Ginger Joe wrote: "Fantastic review, Ginger. King has often replied to questions about which of his books he believes is the scariest by answering Pet Sematary. I believe he elaborated that as a parent, what scares h..."

Thank you Joe! I totally agree with you on all points. I saw my parents go through this with losing my brother. It's a scary, overwhelming and dreadful thing to go through. King really nailed this with (view spoiler)
God, I couldn't even get through this part at times.
I think as well that Pet Sematary is one of his best! I'll check out Let the Right One In as well. Thanks for the rec!

Chris Berko You nailed it. This and It are my favorite King books. I'm glad you finished and this is as raw and brutal as anything he's written.

Ginger Chris wrote: "You nailed it. This and It are my favorite King books. I'm glad you finished and this is as raw and brutal as anything he's written."

I totally agree Chris on how raw and brutal this book is. Thank you!

Shaina Exactly Ginger. Exactly. So right. That’s why we love him.

message 24: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I haven't read the book but the movie scared the heck outta me. I'm glad you loved it. Great review!

message 25: by Ginger (last edited Sep 06, 2018 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger Deanna wrote: "I haven't read the book but the movie scared the heck outta me. I'm glad you loved it. Great review!"

Thanks Deanna!! I think you'll love the book even more. It's much creepier and overwhelming!

Calis Johnson You should listen to the BBC audio version scariest thing I've ever listened to. And I found Lewis' downward spiral akin to what the Joker said in the killing joke "One bad day can drive one crazy" Now it takes several days after the "one day" but Lewis is totally gone at the end. This book is permanently in my top 10 Stephen King list.

Ginger Calis wrote: "You should listen to the BBC audio version scariest thing I've ever listened to. And I found Lewis' downward spiral akin to what the Joker said in the killing joke "One bad day can drive one crazy"..."

I had no idea about the BBC audio version! Thanks Calis for the recommendation. It sounds fantastic! :D

message 28: by Audrey (new)

Audrey I just watched the 198-something movie. Disturbing at times for sure.

Ginger Audrey wrote: "I just watched the 198-something movie. Disturbing at times for sure."

I did a rewatch of that movie as well Audrey when I finished this last year.
I would like to see the new movie that just came out. It’s getting mixed reviews but I still love the whole plot that I’ll give it a chance.

Ginger Mark wrote: "All very weird watching Herman Munster in a Stephen King movie. I can't believe they changed the book so much in the new movie"

Yeah, I read about that myself Mark. It will be interesting to watch the new movie because of that very thing. I'm still willing to keep an open mind when I finally see it.

message 31: by ChopinFC (new)

ChopinFC Look who is addicted to Stephen King novels all of a sudden! Hehe, awesome review my friend! This was a horrifying, crazy fucked up book..I loved it!!

message 32: by Ginger (last edited May 25, 2019 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger ChopinFC wrote: "Look who is addicted to Stephen King novels all of a sudden! Hehe, awesome review my friend! This was a horrifying, crazy fucked up book..I loved it!!"

I’ve always loved Stephen King. I’m just glad I got to so many of his books in the last few years.
Thank you Rod and you’re so right!
It is a horrifying, crazy and fucked up book! 🤣😂