Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Beneath a Scarlet Sky

Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan

bookshelves: audiobook, historical-fiction, read-2018, owned

Beneath a Scarlet Sky, by Mark T. Sullivan, was inspired by the real life story of WWII hero, Pino Lella. This book was 10 years in the making for author, Mark T. Sullivan, whom met Pinot by chance and knew he wanted to tell his story. It is a work of fiction, but has been rumored to be about 90% true.

First things first, this audiobook is a commitment. It is 17 hours long! About 25% way through I upped the speed to 1.25x and it cut a few hours off, phew. I am terribly bad at paying attention to audiobooks, but I do find I am most engaged in listening and not being distracted by everything around me (look a squirrel!) when I am taking a long drive. During a long weekend I went to visit friends in CT (about a 2 hour drive) so it was a perfect time to dive into Pino’s story.

Pino is an Italian who at the age of 18 is forced to enlist to fight with the Germans on his home turf. Just the previous winter he was helping Jews escape to Switzerland, so you can imagine the pain Pinot is fighting internally to be working for the enemy.

I am not one to give too much detailed information in my reviews, as I want the reader/listener to experience much of the granular details on their own. What I will say is that like any story about war, it is depressing. There is only so much one person can experience and it was wild to hear that much of this story was true for Pino. His love for Anna Marta will make you weep. He is witness to such destruction and devastation at a young age and still finds the strength to keep going. After listening to this audiobook all I wanted to do was find Pino and hug him (if you know anything about me, this is huge. I hate hugs, so for me to want to actually give one away…well that’s major).

If you are taking a long drive, or can pay attention better than me, Beneath a Scarlet Sky is a solid historical fiction audiobook choice. You must commit your time, but it’s one worth experiencing. The writing is beautiful, great character development. There is also an epilogue that provides a snapshot of where many of these characters wound up in real life.

The narrator, Will Damron, did an amazing job at tackling the various accents and character emotions. It was not an easy feat, but he made it sound easy.

Also, super cool to note: it is soon to be a major motion picture, staring Tom Holland as Pino.

To read my interview with Narrator, Will Damron visit: https://saturdaynitereader.com/2018/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Scarlet Sky.

September 19, 2017 – Shelved
September 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2018 – Started Reading
January 9, 2018 – 0.0% "17 hours?! This is going to take a while..."
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 18, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
January 18, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Katiria (new)

Katiria Great review!