Amyiw's Reviews > Awaken Me Darkly

Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Sep 21, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: home-shelf, shelf-3, recommend-challenge, x-2015, series, pnr, new-series
Read from December 07 to 09, 2015

2 1/2 stars

Starts really good with kickass female but she turns into a wishy-washy woman that goes from threatening to flirting. She has a "loyalty to the core" to her job one moment then is thinking of perhaps not to save partner or when not sharing information with the captain. She just does stay true to herself.

This is told in 1st person POV and is trying to be an Urban Fantasy, yet it is really Paranormal romance. I've never found 1st person POV as a good choice for romance, it is too one sided. And the main character here is not very good as a romantic figure in the way she acts. One moment she is beating up on the main male character and the next kissing and then the next, fighting her desire, and once again fighting with him. Back and forth, many times and it just gets tiring and does not give it any chemistry.

The UF plot is a good one and the main storyline would have been pretty good except for the main character. The main character ruins the plot with the wishy-washiness, both in police matters and romance. She doesn't take the shot when she can. She waits too long to attack. She doesn't tell the person immediately what is happening. Along with that she constantly says things like, I'll hurt you, I'll kill you, etc... when she has no leverage. After hearing it over and over it came to be meaningless when spoken by her, just a very irritating phrase. She keeps saying how tough she is and kickass, but throughout the book, she is getting one upped and has no idea what she is up against. Not so badass as that.

So the storyline was the saver from this being outright bad for me. The romance... well, I never understood why he liked her at all. Chemistry was just not there. There were some interesting characters but not well enough fleshed out for me to want to move on. Then again since it is not the same character, the world might work with a new one.

Jen- writhe is used at least twice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken Me Darkly.

message 1: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Is it used in "happy" sex scenes? Those uses of "writhe" are when I most hate the word. ;-)

Amyiw Yes, used in sex twice in this one, yes, consensual. I never noticed it until reading your reviews. Now I see it. :-P

message 3: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Amyiw wrote: "Yes, used in sex twice in this one, yes, consensual. I never noticed it until reading your reviews. Now I see it. :-P"

lol Amy. I feel like I should apologize. ;-)

Amyiw Throughout this book the use of regardless just irked me, so I totally understand it. I don't like it unless it really means regardless with out any other conjunction that works better. Don't know why, maybe because of the use of irregardless, which isn't even a word.

message 5: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Amyiw wrote: "Throughout this book the use of regardless just irked me, so I totally understand it. I don't like it unless it really means regardless with out any other conjunction that works better. Don't know ..."

I think every reader probably has one word she really despises. ;-)