Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)'s Reviews > The Uncrossing

The Uncrossing by Melissa Eastlake

bookshelves: arcs, paranormal-urban-fantasy, lgbtq

"You should say you're crossed, not cursed. Curse makes it sound hopeless."

This was just a fun-happy book that made me giddy and kept a smile on my face. I read so much urban fantasy from 2011-2015, but I’m really just getting back into the genre and I still love it. The Uncrossing creatively incorporated fairy tale elements into an imaginative New York, with ruling magical families and intricate spellwork. It was everything I wanted from the story.

Things I Liked
I really love the fairy tale elements incorporated into the story. Not only the magic and spells, but the power of true love’s kiss, all felt new fitting in this environment. The modern New York setting and the organized crime vibes creates a great forbidden love that was captivating and easy to become enveloped in.

I LOVE Jeremy Kovrov. He is such a good person and so kind and helpful. His curse could have easily made him bitter or resentful, but he was such a ray of light! Don’t get me wrong, he did get upset and was allowed to demonstrate his frustrations. But he was never one dimensional. And I really loved him and Luke too!

I also really loved the family dynamics in the story, especially the Kovrov’s. They were so adorably sweet teasing Jeremy about his crush on Luke. They were so playful and supportive and they gave me all the warm fuzzies!

Things I Didn’t Like
In the beginning of the story, it was hard for me to be grounded and grab onto anything. It kind of felt like I was just thrown into the story, and all these things were already happening and I had to catch up. It was just a bit disorienting and made me work to get into the story.

The Uncrossing is one of those books that just put you in a great mood. You love seeing Luke and Jeremy’s push-and-pull; you root for them and want them to be happy and adorable together. I loved the seeing the family dynamics and the wonderful magic. And even though I was a little overwhelmed in the beginning, I really loved this story.

I received a copy of the book from Entangled Teen via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncrossing.

September 18, 2017 – Shelved
September 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 21, 2017 – Started Reading
September 21, 2017 –
September 21, 2017 –
September 22, 2017 –
63.0% "There are so many giddy-happy moments and I love it."
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs