Melanie Page's Reviews > Writing My Wrongs: Life, Death, and Redemption in an American Prison

Writing My Wrongs by Shaka Senghor

1519649

The title is accurate; Senghor discusses how writing out his feelings about an issue he's having and then reading back what he wrote a few days later was helpful to him processing how silly his anger could be.

I only had two things that made me hesitant: after years in prison spent writing and keeping his nose clean, Senghor is asked by someone on the outside whom he had met in prison to beat up a guy just transferred to Senghor's facility. The new guy molested two children, a niece and nephew of the formerly-incarcerated guy. While Senghor didn't beat up the child molester as asked, he did pay someone else to do it. He then goes on to write how he had no violent offenses on his record for 10 years, fooling himself into thinking that paying someone to beat an inmate within an inch of his life doesn't count.

The second reason I gave this book four stars is because each section ends akin to a Goosebumps book. Something like, "I thought it was bad, but little did I know I was about to enter the 9th circle of hell." That's not a quote, but the sentiment. You can only read such a statement so many times before it just sounds like hyperbole or a gimmick.

I appreciate the list of books Senghor includes in the back of the book, books that meant a great deal to him while he was incarcerated. It gives readers another place to go after they're finished Writing My Wrongs.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing My Wrongs.

September 18, 2017 – Shelved