❄️Nani❄️'s Reviews > They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
68538597
's review

it was ok

Either I’m heartless or everyone’s emotional.

It was a sad story indeed but I expected to be destroyed and... I was not.

I loved Mateo with everything in me. He was, to put it mildly, the epitome of goodness but had a hard time connecting with Rufus. He was inconsistent at best.

I also loved their instant connection and bond but I was not down with the insta-love.
I simply can’t wrap my head around the idea that two people can fall head over heels in love with each other after only a few hours of meeting each other. It’s just too... nope. Just can’t.
If they’d had a bit more time together, at the very least, I would’ve believed it.

I HATED those side character POVs. They just felt nuisance and kept pulling me out of the story. And what’s more, they weren’t even just a few POVs here and there, they were SO FREQUENT! And almost none of them were connected to either of the boys. Just random people they’ve passed by throughout the day. I found it extremely aggravating.

All in all, had I read this before all the frenzy, no doubt I would’ve found it a lot more emotional, alas, I did not.
It was still a good read and loved the message it was trying to relay.
308 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Both Die at the End.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

September 18, 2017 – Shelved
September 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2018 – Started Reading
March 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Ivan I really want to read this too and I will as soon as I'm done with at least one book I'm currently reading. I really liked his More happy than not even though it broke my heart on more than one occasion.


❄️Nani❄️ Ivan wrote: "I really want to read this too and I will as soon as I'm done with at least one book I'm currently reading. I really liked his More happy than not even though it broke my heart on more than one occ..."

Ohh, I was going to read that a few weeks ago but opted out ‘cause I wanted to start with this book first.
I’ll definitely pick it up once I test this out. But the reviews have been nothing but great all around.
Hope you enjoy it as well!!


Natasha I read this book somewhat recently and I loved it! I hope you enjoy it too :)


❄️Nani❄️ Natasha Louise wrote: "I read this book somewhat recently and I loved it! I hope you enjoy it too :)"

Thanks, Natasha. I hope I will too!! 😊


Charlotte May I've got this one on my shelf too! Looking forward to your thoughts :)


message 6: by Dilinna (new)

Dilinna Hope you've got a pack of tissues on stand by honey!! I ve heard a whole lot abt this book and a lot of tears are usually involved. Enjoy darling!! Waiting for ur review!


❄️Nani❄️ Charlotte wrote: "I've got this one on my shelf too! Looking forward to your thoughts :)"

I hope it’s as good as everyone deems it!😀🤞🤞


❄️Nani❄️ Dilinna wrote: "Hope you've got a pack of tissues on stand by honey!! I ve heard a whole lot abt this book and a lot of tears are usually involved. Enjoy darling!! Waiting for ur review!"

I know what you mean! I just had this urge to have my heart broken by a book and if this book’s anything like what people’ve said, i might have found the answer. 🙈
Thank you, love!💕


message 9: by Kelley (new) - added it

Kelley Happy Reading!!! I was next to my roommate when she finished it. Be ready to cry!


❄️Nani❄️ Kelley wrote: "Happy Reading!!! I was next to my roommate when she finished it. Be ready to cry!"

Thanks, Kelley! I know, I am so prepared! (I think?)🤞🙈


message 11: by Clara (new)

Clara I hope you like it☺️ I have not read anything by Adam Silvera yet but I want to!


❄️Nani❄️ Clara wrote: "I hope you like it☺️ I have not read anything by Adam Silvera yet but I want to!"

Thanks, Clara! ☺️ Yeah! I just thought it time I try Silvera since people seem to speak so highly of his books.
I hope you enjoy whichever one of his books you decide to read!


Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ Hope you'll enjoy it! =))


❄️Nani❄️ Virginia Ronan wrote: "Hope you'll enjoy it! =))"

Thanks, Virginia!☺️ I’m betting everything on me loving this😁🤞


Vanessa I haven't read anything by Adam Silvera either! Though I'd really like to read this one!! Enjoy it! 😊


❄️Nani❄️ Vanessa wrote: "I haven't read anything by Adam Silvera either! Though I'd really like to read this one!! Enjoy it! 😊"

Thanks, Vanessa!☺️ I hope so too! 🤞
Hope you enjoy it too if you decide to pick it up 😁


message 17: by Kelechi (new) - added it

Kelechi I have the e-book and need to get back to reading it!


❄️Nani❄️ Kelechi wrote: "I have the e-book and need to get back to reading it!"

You’ve started it? How was it??


message 19: by Kelechi (new) - added it

Kelechi ❄️Nani❄️ wrote: "Kelechi wrote: "I have the e-book and need to get back to reading it!"

You’ve started it? How was it??"


I literally just read the first page! I put it aside for other books but I need to pick it up again!!


❄️Nani❄️ Kelechi wrote: "❄️Nani❄️ wrote: "Kelechi wrote: "I have the e-book and need to get back to reading it!"

You’ve started it? How was it??"

I literally just read the first page! I put it aside for other books but I..."


Ohh hahaa gotcha. I’m planning on starting it in the morning hopefully. Hope you enjoy it! 🤞


message 21: by Kelechi (new) - added it

Kelechi ❄️Nani❄️ wrote: "Kelechi wrote: "❄️Nani❄️ wrote: "Kelechi wrote: "I have the e-book and need to get back to reading it!"

You’ve started it? How was it??"

I literally just read the first page! I put it aside for o..."


Hope you do as well! :)


Katie I felt the exact same way when I read this book. I thought something was wrong with me because I didn't have that emotional connection either lol. I also hated the insta love (like they were def cute together, but love was too much after like half a day). I still liked the book, but it wasn't as soul destroying as I expected


❄️Nani❄️ Katie wrote: "I felt the exact same way when I read this book. I thought something was wrong with me because I didn't have that emotional connection either lol. I also hated the insta love (like they were def cu..."

YES! Wow, I really thought I was literally the only one who felt this way. It’s exactly as you’ve said, cute af together but the love thing really was too much too soon.


Katie You’re not alone! I thought I was alone and then I read the first line of your review and i was like, oh finally someone else who understands! But yeah, like I get they only had a day to live, but love was just too soon


❄️Nani❄️ Katie wrote: "You’re not alone! I thought I was alone and then I read the first line of your review and i was like, oh finally someone else who understands! But yeah, like I get they only had a day to live, but ..."

Haha my thoughts exactly too, when I saw your comment 😄


Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading•• Yep agree. I was not “destroyed” either


Hamad I liked this very much, I didn't like the instalove, and maybe they should have just stayed friends... I wasn't destroyed either but I like the world building and I fell in love with the writing style, hence the 4 stars! I can relate to your review, which is great by the way 😃


❄️Nani❄️ Love,Camila🏳️‍🌈 wrote: "Yep agree. I was not “destroyed” either"

It’s always good to know I’m not alone😆


❄️Nani❄️ Hamad wrote: "I liked this very much, I didn't like the instalove, and maybe they should have just stayed friends... I wasn't destroyed either but I like the world building and I fell in love with the writing st..."

Yes! I’m with you on both counts. And thank you!😊


evelina This is exactly what I though when I read this a few days ago!


❄️Nani❄️ evelina wrote: "This is exactly what I though when I read this a few days ago!"

Yeah! I had a lot of preconceived ideas going in due to all the reviews I’d heard before hand and that, I think, is why I was ultimately underwhelmed.


message 32: by Lior (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lior I completely agree with you Nani! I expected to be all up in my feels but I only really got emotional in the very end when they (or rather, he— I did not care for the other death that much tbh) died. And yeah they were cute together but I really wish they haven’t said I love you’s so soon! If it were left just as a start of something, it would’ve been perfect imo, but the ily’s just made it... awkward and cringy.
And I completely hated any of the other POV’s!! I don’t get why it was necessary, it didn’t add nothing to the story and it seemed like they were just put in to make the book longer. I actually skipped a bunch of them lol oops.


❄️Nani❄️ Lior wrote: "I completely agree with you Nani! I expected to be all up in my feels but I only really got emotional in the very end when they (or rather, he— I did not care for the other death that much tbh) die..."

Completely agree! With all the I love yous and ughh those POVs!!! I was so aggravated. I think it would’ve been a lot more impactful if their connection was a deep friendship bond.
Haha I almost skipped those parts too😄 I couldn’t take it right around the end when it got too much but I feared I’d miss some interval information or something so I stuck it out. Turns out there was nothing to miss lol


Chanel Either I'm heartless or everyone's emotional

I don't know that I've related more to a sentence ever in my life...


❄️Nani❄️ Chanel wrote: "Either I'm heartless or everyone's emotional

I don't know that I've related more to a sentence ever in my life..."


😆 What can I say, I was at a loss! Hahaa


message 36: by Ada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ada if they had kept it at "I think I would have loved you if I had more time" it would have been beautiful and perfectly heartbreaking, illustrating the idea of missed opportunities. but talking it all the way to "I love you now" felt forced and unrealistic


❄️Nani❄️ Andrada wrote: "if they had kept it at "I think I would have loved you if I had more time" it would have been beautiful and perfectly heartbreaking, illustrating the idea of missed opportunities. but talking it al..."

Yes! I couldn’t agree more. No matter how sad the circumstances, that instant ‘I can’t imag life without you’ totally ruined it for me. Far too unbelievable after only just HOURS.


Chris I am sure if people found out they had less than a day, some would love as hard as they could. Therefore, the love was believable to me.

Romeo and Juliet took place over four days. Some say it is the greatest love story.


❄️Nani❄️ @Chris Yeah, I appreciate your point. And I’m glad you found it believable cause I think I would’ve enjoyed the book a lot more had I found it believable too. But I suppose to each his own since I stand by my view.


Chelsie drew Omg someone else agrees that I hate the side character povs. Completely useless and did not add to the story.


❄️Nani❄️ @Chelsie NONE AT ALL! I still don’t understand the importance of those POVs since they brought nothing to the overarching story. None. Ugh


Conespines Mmmh I think that Mateo and Rufus kind of... "rushed it" on purpose. When Mateo says "I would have loved you if I had more time", and then actually says he loves him, it's because he knows he won't be able to ever tell him. I got the feeling that they felt something for each other and just decided to go for it because it was a now or never situation, even if it was subconscious, if that makes sense.
Also, the side chapters may add nothing sometimes, but most of them let you see what's happening near them that will affect them; like the guy who blew up his gym or, even more importantly, the last chapter from Victor's POV lets you understand that Rufus is going to get run over by him.


Maya! I completely agree.


Maya! And I thought I was the only one who hated the side characters’ POVs! Like, it doesn’t matter what the inventor of Last Friend thinks!


❄️Nani❄️ @Conespines yeah, I just didn’t feel it. And as for the side characters, I don’t mind a few here and there but this was just plain excessive.


❄️Nani❄️ @Maya I know! Like, who cares what the random person on the train was thinking about? It brought nothing to the story. None at all!


Ashley I agree as I wasnt destroyed ever, but I thought the addition of the different POVs gave an interesting take on the story.


back to top