j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]'s Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
68216634
's review

it was ok

Apologies in advance. You're not gonna like what I have to say.

This is not the review I was expecting to write, but this is not the book I was expecting to read.

Andy Weir has successfully taken the one element I didn't like in THE MARTIAN and expanded on that until ARTEMIS is almost a chore to read. Major disappointment.

Remember our hero, Mark, in The Martian? His jokey, sarcastic personality started to grate on my nerves towards the end of the book. It's like he never quit with the relentless joking. Staring death in the face? Make a joke. Starving to death? Play some funny music. Ok, we get it! Mark is all about the comic relief. Why does it have to be so overdone and heavy-handed? I still enjoyed the book for all the old-school science fiction fun.

HOWEVER, after cutting Weir some slack for his forced characterizations in The Martian, I am not so ready to do the same with Artemis.

Guess what? Jazz, our female protagonist in Artemis, has almost the exact same personality as Mark from The Martian. Ugggggghhhhh. And that goofy, insulting character is even more annoying in a grown woman. Is that sexist? I hope not. I don't mean it to be.

Oh, and by the way, Jazz is the town tramp (with a heart of gold) because of her reputation for sleeping with so many guys. Hysterical.

The book starts out very fun to read. I really enjoyed reading how the city of Artemis came to be established on the moon. I loved reading about the actualities of lunar living with 1/6 of the gravity. I liked learning about the moon's surface, dust and atmosphere. There just wasn't enough of the moon facts for me.

Also, I'm beginning to question Andy Weir's imagination for the future. The moon inhabitants walk around and do all their business transactions on small computers that they carry. They pay for items and surf the internet and make calls on these "gizmos" as they are called. FASCINATING STUFF right here.

What there is plenty of:
Welding. Yes, welding. More than I ever want to know about welding.
Stupid middle-school humor that the very smart adults all seem to love.
Forced, unnatural dialogue.
Convoluted, crazy plot that never really makes sense.
Integral characters that are unexplained, because of one-note superficial writing.


After the first third of the book, I had to push through to finish it. Especially the middle part with all the welding. Take my advice and skim skim skim through the welding. The very end ramps up with some excitement, but not enough to make up of for the rest. Sad.

I would have liked more moonwalking, less welding. More thinking, less insulting. More imagination, less joking. More sci-fi, less lame comedy.
455 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

September 17, 2017 – Shelved
September 21, 2017 – Started Reading
September 21, 2017 –
page 1
0.31% "Super stoked to read this!"
September 23, 2017 –
47.0% "such a fun story! Loving it!"
September 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)


Crazy4Books Cant wait to see what you think. Im planning on picking it up in October some time. Wish I could get to it sooner but soooo many review books I need to read first. lol


message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Welding. Argh!


Jean Great review! I thought The Martian was ok and I actually enjoyed the movie more. I was hoping this book would be better but now I'm having my doubts.


Dianne Oh, no!! But great review!! :-)


message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Honest review Jewels x


message 6: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Great honest review, Jewels! Hope your next read is much better! 💖


Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful honest review, Jewels!


message 8: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron Appreciate your thoughts on this, j e w e l s. I have not yet read a review that makes me want to add it.


message 9: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Great review Jewels! Glad I had no interest in reading this one. Better luck on your next read.


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] PorshaJo wrote: "Great review Jewels! Glad I had no interest in reading this one. Better luck on your next read."


thank you PorshaJo!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Zoeytron wrote: "Appreciate your thoughts on this, j e w e l s. I have not yet read a review that makes me want to add it."

thanks Zoeytron...yeah it's a disapointment.


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Jean wrote: "Great review! I thought The Martian was ok and I actually enjoyed the movie more. I was hoping this book would be better but now I'm having my doubts."

yes, Jean, I enjoyed the movie a lot! I had high hopes for this book


message 13: by Brian (new) - rated it 1 star

Brian Our views on this book pretty much sync up. I was disappointed, too.


message 14: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Great review, Jewels - well balanced between the parts you liked and didn't care for. I don't have this one yet, so I think I might take it off my list.


message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Clemence Great review, Jewels. I didn't even realize Andy Weir had another novel out. Guess I won't have to rush out and grab it. :)


message 16: by Candace (new)

Candace Jewels, sorry this one was such a disappointment. May the next one be better. Great review!


message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Joint Great honest review, Jewels. I don't think this one is for me either.


message 18: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Oh bummer, yeah this might come off my list too. Kind of nice to not have to read it and be disappointed. Sorry for your experience. Great review.


Kaceey - Traveling Sister Great review Jewels! Sorry it didn’t work for you!


JanB uh oh...this is not good news as it's on my NG shelf! I enjoyed the humor and ignored the science-y jargon in The Martian, but I can see how it might grow old. Sorry this was such a stinker :-(


message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Lol, welding! I never finished The Martian.


Carol (Bookaria) Hope the next one is better!


message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Fantabulous review! Sorry it was bad. Here's to a good one coming up!


message 24: by AnisaAnne (new) - added it

AnisaAnne Thank you for your honest review. I will pass!


message 25: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sorry it didn't work out, Jewels. Hope your next read is better! Great review!!


message 26: by Coni (new)

Coni Warren I had to be convince to read The Martian and was glad I finally did. I did like the humor, but could tell it was a first-time novelist. If the character in this book is exactly the same though, then that really brings home the fact that he lacks the ability to build characters. That's disappointing. Thanks for your review. I know to skip this one.


message 27: by Matt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Weir Can't bring myself to read this review yet. Looking forward to reading the book and don't want to ruin my experience.
However, as soon as I'm done, I'll be checking up on the review for sure. 😊


Lauren I actually bailed on this book at page 63 because of how the main character was written. 😣


message 29: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin Oh God the welding!! I totally agree, Jazz and Mark are both essentially the same character, because they are both essentially Andy Weir. Unfortunately, Andy Weir has never been a 26 year old woman so everything Jazz says and does just rings false.


message 30: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali Summers oh! i loved that personality! sorry you diddnt, but this helped me decide to read it!


message 31: by Emma (new) - rated it 2 stars

Emma I totally agree with you, I so dislike this book, whereas I really enjoyed The Martian.
Also, if an author needs to resort to so many f* words, I doubt the depth of his/her vocabulary


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Emma wrote: "I totally agree with you, I so dislike this book, whereas I really enjoyed The Martian.
Also, if an author needs to resort to so many f* words, I doubt the depth of his/her vocabulary"


yessssss! c'mon, so middle school!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Ali wrote: "oh! i loved that personality! sorry you diddnt, but this helped me decide to read it!"

yeah! definitely read it, you will love Jazz!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Erin wrote: "Oh God the welding!! I totally agree, Jazz and Mark are both essentially the same character, because they are both essentially Andy Weir. Unfortunately, Andy Weir has never been a 26 year old woman..."

yes, but a good writer should be able to write believably for all of their characters, no matter the sex! thanks for commenting, Erin!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Matt wrote: "Can't bring myself to read this review yet. Looking forward to reading the book and don't want to ruin my experience.
However, as soon as I'm done, I'll be checking up on the review for sure. 😊"


awww, Happy Reading, friend!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Lauren wrote: "I actually bailed on this book at page 63 because of how the main character was written. 😣"

good thing you did, 'cause it def gets worse the longer it goes!


Taryn I agree so much with everything you say! I got so bored with the different iterations of the same joke, especially about Jazz. The humor didn't bother me in The Martian, but I wonder how much of that was because of the fantastic audiobook narrator.


William I must agree with you on many counts. I enjoyed the first half a lot, and then the dialogue descends into saccharine silly. I did love the science and world-building.


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Taryn wrote: "I agree so much with everything you say! I got so bored with the different iterations of the same joke, especially about Jazz. The humor didn't bother me in The Martian, but I wonder how much of th..."

yeah Taryn!! A good audiobook can make up for a less than book!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] William wrote: "I must agree with you on many counts. I enjoyed the first half a lot, and then the dialogue descends into saccharine silly. I did love the science and world-building."

Me too William! I just wanted more science and more world building. The actual plot was just dumb.


William Not so much welding in the published version. But the descent halfway through into high school dialogue and behaviour was disappointing


message 42: by Barret (new) - added it

Barret Vasilchik thanks for the review. This actually has me encouraged because I loved that sense of the character. That was actually what really made the martian feel different for me. But I can understand why everyone wouldn't like that.


message 43: by Matt (new) - rated it 2 stars

Matt Weir Ugh, this is the review I wanted to write!
Spot on!
All that bloody welding! Give it a rest!
Fantastic review!


Patrice Hoffman I started this last night but I can't really get into it... Insert sad face lol


Danny Totally agree. I was very disappointed.


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Matt wrote: "Ugh, this is the review I wanted to write!
Spot on!
All that bloody welding! Give it a rest!
Fantastic review!"


LOL! thanks Matt!


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Patrice wrote: "I started this last night but I can't really get into it... Insert sad face lol"


yeah, it only goes downhill from there...


j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled] Danny wrote: "Totally agree. I was very disappointed."

thanks Danny, seems a lot of people like it though ...


Danny I sort of suspicious of all the five star reviews. A lot of them don't seem to go into detail and I wonder if they're bought reviews by the publisher. Lots of the poorer reviews seem to actually go into detail on the book. I really wanted to love this book but it just never delivered in any significant way. I was left feeling disappointed.


message 50: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy You nailed it, jewels. I couldn’t finish this.


« previous 1
back to top