Corina's Reviews > Grievous

Grievous by J.M. Darhower

bookshelves: audiobook, mafia-mob, reviewed

This is a review for both books Menace and Grievous.

Menace and Grievous were NOT sweet novels. In fact they were the opposite. This duology was dark, brutal, raw, and sometimes hard to swallow, but best of all they were unbelievably captivating.

I've never read a character like Lorenzo Gambini before. He ruled with an iron fist, quick to anger, quick to shoot, without a conscience, in short not someone you want to meet.

Morgan Myers, or Scarlet to Lorenzo, had the misfortune of stealing his wallet and coming face to face with a walking nightmare. Not knowing who she stole from, her feisty attitude and their mutual attraction saved her from an otherwise dire future. She was someone that gave as good as she got, and was one of the only people in Lorenzo's life that wasn't afraid of him.

Morgan realized pretty quickly what was behind the man with the scar. Someone so cold and bored that laughing became something unheard of, until Morgan started rattling his cage on a daily basis. They satisfied their hunger in bed, and slowly both started to open up to another.

The story that unfolded from there on had me on the edge of my seat, and I confess right now, I sneak peaked the ending just to assure myself that people I liked didn't get killed. BAD Corina, I know, but gosh I couldn't help myself.

That being said, what stood out for me the most were the characters Morgan and Lorenzo. Morgan was incredibly tough. The nightmarish events she had to endure, didn't break her entirely. She was still a strong and feisty woman and I couldn't help myself but root and feel for her. Morgan was one of the strongest heroines I've ever encountered.

Now, Lorenzo was in a class for himself. That man had me falling deep for him. Every time he opened his mouth I was grinning. His POV was my favorite - he was so short tempered and everybody got on his nerves sooner than later. His shooting accuracy was a highly amusing matter to me. And his disregard towards life was eye opening and made him plain speaking - DANGEROUS and a MENACE to society.

Mob, mafia, and organized crime always fascinated me. But often books don't go far enough. They romanticize the situation which in my eyes is so WRONG!!! Don't half bake a hero. If he is in the mafia or mob, the only way to survive is by being ruthless, and a killer. I don't believe anything else. Give me the grit and the blood - and make it real.

I didn't have that problem with this duology. The author managed to write a truly believable and at times shocking tale. Menacing. Cruel. Raw. I was hooked, truly invested and glued to my phone.

Now about the audiobook version: I loved it. It was dual narration, and both narrators did a fabulous job. The big villain had a Russian accent and in both cases he was perfectly portrait. Like I mentioned I loved Lorenzo's POV - maybe also because of the narration. I could feel his boredom, temper, disgust - it was palpable at every instance.

So, if you love a good gritty and bloody tale of a  mobster - don't hesitate and pick up these two novels.

For more of my reviews:
My Blog: Book Twins Reviews
Facebook Blog Page
Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grievous.

September 17, 2017 – Started Reading
September 17, 2017 – Shelved
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: mafia-mob
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
September 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 2: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Corina! :)

Corina Jenny wrote: "Terrific review❤️"

Thanks Jenny ♡♡♡ xoxo

Corina Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Corina! :)"