Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)'s Reviews > The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still

The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Fu... by Catherynne M. Valente

bookshelves: hey-shawty, frisson, los-favoritos, made-me-cry, lingual-pheromone, children

“The first magic anyone learns is saying No,” purred the Leopard of Little Breezes. “It’s how you know a baby is starting to turn into a person. They run around saying no all day, throwing their magic at everything to see what it’ll stick to. And if they say No loud enough, and often enough, and to the right person, strange things will happen. The nasty supper is taken away. The light is left on at night instead of turned out. The toy comes out of the shop window. It is such old magic, such basic magic, that most folk don’t even know it’s magic anymore.” The Leopard of Little Breezes rubbed her paw over her ear. “You can say No to that story. You can say No to the spell, to the Marquess, to the lions, to all of it. And if you say it loud enough, and often enough, strange things will begin to happen.”

“But that’s easy. I can say No all day long!”

The Leopard growled. “It’s very much harder to say No to a tyrant than to say No to a plate of beans or a dark bedroom. Harder still to do it while your wings are tied down and blistered. And you cannot stop saying it, even if it would feel so marvelous, so easy, so much less work to just be silent and hope it all comes out right somehow.”

Cat Valente wrote this short story the day Trump was elected the President of The United States of America in response to people telling her to shut up and stop talking about politics. I don't think I have ever encountered a metaphorical story so potent that my eyes were stinging with unshed tears by the time I was done reading. And just like the Leopard of Little Breezes said, we must say Yes to each other. We must say Yes to the needful, to the suffering, to the lonely, to those the Marquess punishes for saying No to her. Because when our world is ruled by a tyrant drunk on hate, Defiance is the only magic we need.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beasts Who Fought for Fairyland Until the Very End and Further Still.

Started Reading