Sarah's Reviews > Why I Love Bodyguards

Why I Love Bodyguards by T.A. Chase

liked it

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a toothache sweet romance. The relationship between Hilton, a billionaire CEO and Cathal, his head of security is pure fantasy fiction - until Cathal has to return home to Montana to deal with family drama. From that point on we get a little bit of angst and a whole lot of domestic bliss.

The connection between Cathal and Hilton has been five years in the making but somehow, this still feels like instalove as the two men move from flirtation to coparenting in the space of a few days. As with all billionaire romances, this story pushes the boundaries of plausibility as Hilton manages to drop everything in New York to be with Cathal in Montana. To a British reader, Hilton’s British background isn’t terribly convincing and I found the inconsistencies irritating. Cathal’s family situation is heartbreaking but everything is more domestic than sexy.

For me, the domestic part of the story was a complete turnoff. As soon as Cathal and Hilton start to figure things out together, they are surrounded by four children. Sure, the kids are cute and the men’s domestic experiences are realistic but I don’t read billionaire romances for realism. Cathal and Hilton sneak around like teenagers - or parents - having muffled sex before immediately pulling sweats on so small children can get into bed with them. Not sexy. Not at all sexy.

TA Chase was one of the first authors to get me hooked on m/m romance but this is the first of her books that I’ve read in some time. As a fan, I was surprised by the choppy ‘tell not show’ writing style and frustrated with some grammatical errors that I hope will be fixed before the final release date.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why I Love Bodyguards.

Finished Reading